Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as the title says, I have a 66 coupe, and the original ammeter was blown, so I soldered the connection back into place. Hooked it up again, and it blew out. Re-soldered, hooked up again, once again it blew...

I finally decided to order a new one, and low-and-behold, when it's hooked up, it releases alot of smoke, along with some popping... I immediately unplugged it to keep it from the same fate of my other gauge...

What in the world is going on here???

Thanks,
Dave

·
Premium Member
14,325 Posts
you have short somewhere in the wiring harness. Your new ampmeter is likely ruined. First of all buy a factory shop manual or at least a '66 wiring diagram. That should help you trace the wiring from the gauge. Do not plug in a new ampmeter until you have found the short circuit.

Z.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm... I checked voltage across the two wires, it was 12.62, and the voltage at the battery was 12.63...

Fortunately, I don't think the gauge is blown, as it gives resistances varying from 200 ohms to 20 ohms...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm... I checked voltage across the two wires, it was 12.62, and the voltage at the battery was 12.63...

Fortunately, I don't think the gauge is blown, as it gives resistances varying from 200 ohms to 20 ohms...
Can anyone verify the data I posted above? Is that normal?

·
Registered
36,820 Posts
OMG. Somewhere, someone has altered the wiring as though it were a real ammeter. It's an indicator, wired in parallel with the charging circuit, not supposed to be in series.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts