Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the bezel and lens. I'm putting in new 1895 bulbs while there but they don't fit tight the old/original ones. They are simple push in/twist bulbs but do one want to seat tight. What am I doing wrong? Any tips/tricks would be appreciated.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have the same problem. I have had to fish out those LED bulbs from within the gauge panel several times already. I even crimped the bulb holders to make a tighter diameter to hold the bulbs. I'm thinking about putting aluminum foil around the bulbs, without touching the center electrode.
Interested also in knowing what others have done.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Check to be certain the little spring under the insulating washer is working like it should. Mine had gotten stuck with a little corrosion inside the bulb holder so I had to slide the washer out and use a wire brush to clean out the corrosion (my .30 caliber rifle brush worked great).

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Replacing the bezel and lens. I'm putting in new 1895 bulbs while there but they don't fit tight the old/original ones. They are simple push in/twist bulbs but do one want to seat tight. What am I doing wrong? Any tips/tricks would be appreciated.
What brand are your bulbs that dont fit? I had Scott Drake brand bulbs and they fit very poorly. I went with another vendor who had nonSD bulbs and they fit perfectly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had two bulbs from CJPony (so could be Drake) and the rest I got from NAPA. They are all the same. What are "nonSD" bulbs, where did you get them?

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
I would avoid putting foil in the system. Disimilar metals will exchange electrons over time and the aluminum will corrode creating a real mess. Wire brush the inside to insure there is no corrosion and carefully compress teh tangs so they engage, you can check teh tangs that old the bulb studs to insure they are square. I tiny file could be used to square them up. make sure the tangs are not twisted, its a simple mechanical interface, just be diligent about making everything fit, sometimes just squeezing them isn't teh problem

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have experienced the "rounded pin" issue using some bulbs. I always inspect them in the store before purchasing and always buy spares when I come across good ones. If they are not square, they will not stay in place!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What brand are your bulbs that dont fit? I had Scott Drake brand bulbs and they fit very poorly. I went with another vendor who had nonSD bulbs and they fit perfectly.
Rock Auto has the 1895 bulbs like you took out. I have some of the Drake bulbs too. The prongs are rounded. I took a file and filed an edge on them so they do grab better in the socket. I also found some LEDs that have same problem as the Drake bulbs. I'm experimenting with using some rope chalk to help hold them place so they don't fall inside the bezel once they are snapped in the. That is a real pain in the ass to take bezel apart especially after I siliconed the gaps to keep dirt/dust out.!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts