Vintage Mustang Forums banner

66 Mustang Dual Exhaust Hanger Bracket

474 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  22GT
Hello all - I have a 66 289 coupe - just converted single to dual exhaust and I have the dual exhaust hung and looking good with hangers attached to rear frame rails with no issues. I used some universal hangers that come in the CJ pony parts kit and they worked pretty well. I also have a set of the original exhaust hangers that attach to the rear seat floor area and to a bracket on the muffler, however, my mufflers do not have any attach fittings for the original style bracket. Does anyone have any ideas or experience in coming up with a good way to attach newer (turbo style) mufflers to the floor pan exhaust hangers on a 66? Thanks for any help with this!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
I welded "C" channel to my turbos & drilled/tapped for the attaching hardware. Pretty simple stuff when the mufflers are off the car though it may be a little more complicated if the mufflers are already installed.

· Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
1,121 Posts
Jump on Amazon and search “exhaust hangers”. Plenty of options where you could use existing mounts/holes in the floor then a U-bolt and clamp around the muffler end or pipe etc. 👍

· Registered
5,051 Posts
You can't hang dual mufflers from the rear seat pans unless you have the reinforcement plates. Otherwise it will just tear up your floorpans. Single exhaust cars did not come with the reinforcement plates to my knowledge. These are the plates I mean:

No plates:

Plates:

Notes how they spread the load over a large shaped area instead of concentrating it all in one place. GT dual exhaust cars came with them from the factory.

· Registered
37,628 Posts
You can't hang dual mufflers from the rear seat pans unless you have the reinforcement plates. Otherwise it will just tear up your floorpans. Single exhaust cars did not come with the reinforcement plates to my knowledge.
Notes how they spread the load over a large shaped area instead of concentrating it all in one place. GT dual exhaust cars came with them from the factory.
Jeeze, I wish you had told me that in 1974 when I added factory dual exhaust to my 66. Since then I've run the odometer up to 400,000 miles. Guess that means my exhaust will fall out any minute.

Sorry about the sarcasm, I couldn't resist. :)

· Registered
5,051 Posts
Jeeze, I wish you had told me that in 1974 when I added factory dual exhaust to my 66. Since then I've run the odometer up to 400,000 miles. Guess that means my exhaust will fall out any minute.

Sorry about the sarcasm, I couldn't resist. :)
Fair enough. I believe it worked for you...but I also believe Ford added them for a reason...those penny pinchers wouldn't have added them if they weren't having issues with the metal tearing. I guess the question is why risk it? They are easy to install with panel bond if you don't want to weld them in...or just lay them in place and have the seatbelts and exhaust hangers sandwich them in place, any method will work(some better than others) to spread the load. As for me....I wasn't worried about hanging mufflers from there(since my planned exhaust might not even be able to utilize those locations for the mufflers)....at some point far in the future I plan on remote mount turbos using that as a bracket mount location.

· Premium Member
10,006 Posts
Yeah, me too!. It wasn't until I had other welding work in the area that I added the reinforcement plates 10-15 years after I added duals and subsequent hangers. I'm another lucky guy, I guess?

· Registered
65 Coupe / Family owned since 21 APR 1964
1,121 Posts
I have no idea how long my great uncles “dual” exhaust system was installed but it too was on an original single exhaust 260 v8 Mustang. All that held up the back of the mufflers was two 1-1/2 inch long what I believe were 3/16s or 1/4 inch lag screws - no doubler/reinforcements etc. Zero signs of fatigue or other issues with the area/floor pan. I was a bit surprised.

· Registered
37,628 Posts
To be fair, I used factory muffler and tailpipe hangers, so it's not like I was using a single bolt and some generic hangers on just the mufflers.

I used factory muffler assemblies, too, you could still get them then. I wish I'd bought a truckload of them. The good repros are over $3000, not including clamps and hangers.

· Registered
22,553 Posts
When I originally converted to dual exhaust I used universal hangers at the end and the original mounts on each side for the transverse muffler on the frame rails just above the axle. Worked well enough for a long time. Few years back on my engine swap and headers I put a 2.50” system. I also wanted a more of a clean factory set up. So I installed the inner support plates and brackets. You don’t have to use the factory stuff but I definitely would use some type of reinforcement plate inside, even if it’s fender washers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts