Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to paint my lower dash and the inside of doors. The dash I lightly sanded paint but not down to bare metal , and the inside of doors I took all the paint off. Im going to be using the laquer paint from NPD. My question is what kind of primer should I use on dash and doors / The inside of doors will be Emberglo and the lower dash will be Parchment. Does it matter what color primer you use ? What should I wipe the metal down with before painting ?

·
Registered
37,721 Posts
I cheated on my doors.... I didn't want to spring for an expensive pint of lacquer primer so I went to my local Ace hardware and bought a can of Krylon Camouflage Khaki Flat.... pretty sure it's a lacquer-base.... at least it worked fine under my white..... Wiped the metal down with wax & grease remover first.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I sprayed two very light thinned coats of epoxy primer. I mean just dusted. That followed by NPD laquer. Seems to be holding ip well and there is full texture on the doors. Mine was completely bare metal however.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
As long as it will be compatible with your top coat and you don't lay it on heavy so as to fill the grain, it's your choice. Staying in the same brand is a good bet. Pictures when you're done! We're doing the doors on my son's Emberglo car very soon!
20200429_231704.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sprayed two very light thinned coats of epoxy primer. I mean just dusted. That followed by NPD laquer. Seems to be holding ip well and there is full texture on the doors. Mine was completely bare metal however.
What did you wipe down metal with before primer coats ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as it will be compatible with your top coat and you don't lay it on heavy so as to fill the grain, it's your choice. Staying in the same brand is a good bet. Pictures when you're done! We're doing the doors on my son's Emberglo car very soon!
View attachment 789871
My interior is originally the 2 tone Emberglo/Parchment deluxe pony. Somewhere along the way someone painted whole interior Parchment. The original Emberglo is still under the thick paint on inside of doors. Im thinking maybe they couldnt get the emberglo upholstery years back.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What did you wipe down metal with before primer coats ?
First I soda blasted the doors to get all the original paint off without damaging the texture.

Then I wiped with lacquer thinner and once dry wiped it down with Eastwood Pre grease and wax remover before priming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1966 289 2V Coupe FMX Transmission 9-inch Axle
134 Posts
I used alcohol for a de-greaser first. Acetone will take off any paint or primer if you rub vigorously. Then I rubbed it down with a tack cloth to get any particles left over. NPD Lacquer rattle can.

20200531_143757.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used alcohol for a de-greaser first. Acetone will take off any paint or primer if you rub vigorously. Then I rubbed it down with a tack cloth to get any particles left over. NPD Lacquer rattle can.

View attachment 790036
Did you use a certin brand of alcohol ? Automotive brand of just regular rubbing alcohol ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the lower metal part of dash , Im just lightly sanding , can I use mineral spirits or alcohol to clean that after or will it affect the paint still on the dash ? The inner doors are down to bare metal use alcohol or mineral spirits on them before priming ?

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I used rubbing alcohol on my dash. Denatured alcohol was a bit harsh and lifted the primer in some spots.

Make sure that you are in the temperature range the paint manufacturer recommends. To hot and the paint dries to quickly and the finish is rough, to cold and you increase the chances of poor adhesion, sags and runs.

Reactions: shelby1969

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I used rubbing alcohol on my dash. Denatured alcohol was a bit harsh and lifted the primer in some spots.

Make sure that you are in the temperature range the paint manufacturer recommends. To hot and the paint dries to quickly and the finish is rough, to cold and you increase the chances of poor adhesion, sags and runs.
What grit sandpaper is good if just light sanding dash , not taking paint all the way off ?

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
I used fine steel wool to knock the gloss off. Its a bit messy but it works really well around the curves and edges without taking to much paint off.

I bought the steel wool at Lowes in the paint section. P.S. wear gloves.

Reactions: shelby1969
1 - 14 of 14 Posts