Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my 66 stang for over a year with no issues. This morning I noticed that the positive battery cable connected to my stereo amp in the trunk had been disconnected. So I disconnected the main car battery, reconnected the red power source coming from the battery to my stereo amp in the trunk, and reconnected the main battery terminals. I went to start my car and got nothing. My battery is only a year old and holding a 12.6 volt charge. I tried jump starting and it worked, but I can't start my car without jumpers. Lights come on for 3 seconds and shut off. I cleaned my battery terminals and cables as well. Not sure what's going on?

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang 200 Six
57 Posts
Do you have another battery you can temporarily hook up from another car and try starting? If it starts, then the battery seems bad to me - hopefully you can warranty it. The auto parts store can test it out for you for free.

I've had batteries crap out on me within a year if I don't maintain them properly. Once I got a good quality marine battery maintainer (not a chintzy one) for when I am not driving the car often, I rarely have battery issues anymore.

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try to see if the battery is the issue. I'd be surprised thought because I drive her pretty regularly (3-4x per week). This problem started as soon as I disconnected and reconnected the battery. I'm thinking of disconnecting the radio amp to see if that's causing drainage.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang 200 Six
57 Posts
I take it you have tried starting it right after a fresh full charge from a battery charger correct? And it failed to start?

If it starts after a full charge, then you may have a weak battery or parasitic drainage. You said you've driven it for a year so I'm doubtful it's an underpowered alternator issue unless you recently added the amp and it's pulling too much power.

·
Registered
42,892 Posts
Clean the battery posts and terminal ends on the cables until they shine then reconnect everything. While you have the battery disconnected, maybe remove the cables and clean the other ends as well.

·
Registered
1967 C Code
47 Posts
The part that sticks out to me is : "This morning I noticed that the positive battery cable connected to my stereo amp in the trunk had been disconnected. So I disconnected the main car battery, reconnected the red power source coming from the battery to my stereo amp in the trunk, and reconnected the main battery terminals. I went to start my car and got nothing...."

Has the amp been connected since you've owned it? Will the car start with the amp disconnected?

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The amp has been connected since I owned the car and was working flawlessly until I disconnected and reconnected it. I'm going to try disconnecting the amp to see if that resolved the issue. I may also replace my positive battery cable b/c it's pretty rusty. I figured if I can start it with jumper cables, then the battery cable is probably not the culprit.

·
Super Moderator
7,407 Posts
The amp has been connected since I owned the car and was working flawlessly until I disconnected and reconnected it. I'm going to try disconnecting the amp to see if that resolved the issue. I may also replace my positive battery cable b/c it's pretty rusty. I figured if I can start it with jumper cables, then the battery cable is probably not the culprit.
My experience has been "Fix the obvious". If your battery cable is obviously bad/rusty, it's much more likely that's the problem.

When you jump it, you're using two batteries, which means voltage will stay higher during cranking. All other things being equal, a higher voltage will deliver more amps through any given wire (including a rusty one) than a lower voltage.

·
Registered
42,892 Posts
"Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test. "Voltage Drop" test.

Did I mention "Voltage Drop" test?

·
Registered
742 Posts
What's that you say Bart? Lol kip

·
Registered
1966 Coupe restomod
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like the wiring into the amp was the issue for whatever reason. I detached the battery and then took out the power connection to the amp, cleaned it, and put it back. Seems to be working fine now.

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
493 Posts
Looks like the wiring into the amp was the issue for whatever reason. I detached the battery and then took out the power connection to the amp, cleaned it, and put it back. Seems to be working fine now.
The IT guys have a saying... "have you turned it off and back on again?". I have a similar saying with electrical in the car....... "have you cleaned all of the connections?" :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts