Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just purchased a 1966 Mustang Convert and it has a 4 barrel carb that was changed over from the original holley with a manual choke to a edelbrock carb with an electric choke. The only problem is that they didn't hook up the electrics on the edelbrock. Has anyone done this and can tell me where to run the wires. I'm sure I can find a good spot for the ground wire but have no idea where to run the 12 volt side where it only comes on when suppose to. Thanks Dave and Pam

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would use the STA on the alternator. I've heard using the positive side of the coil can cause ignition problems down the road.

·
Premium Member
11,444 Posts
My wife and I just purchased a 1966 Mustang Convert and it has a 4 barrel carb that was changed over from the original holley with a manual choke to a edelbrock carb with an electric choke. The only problem is that they didn't hook up the electrics on the edelbrock. Has anyone done this and can tell me where to run the wires. I'm sure I can find a good spot for the ground wire but have no idea where to run the 12 volt side where it only comes on when suppose to. Thanks Dave and Pam
Wasn't the Shelby GT350 the only '66 with a Holley carb?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a K-code clone from CA. and he couldn't pass emissions so he put an edelbrock on it and passed. Just never dealt with the electric choke.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,357 Posts
I've been running my Edelbrocks for years off the stator (STA) post just like Ford did on literally millions of cars and they've worked fine. It's hands down the simplest solution. If you've upgraded the alternator to something other than the stock style the blower motor wire is a good spot. Some people like to get a bit more complicated with a relay which works fine too.
Rule of thumb number one is to NOT connect it to the positive side of the coil. You'd be robbing energy from the coil. Taking energy away form the ignition is anti-performance in everybody's book. Whether or not you can tell the difference without using professional grade diagnostic tools notwithstanding. The degradation of ignition energy in such a situation is measurable on an automotive scope.

Reactions: jambone
1 - 11 of 11 Posts