Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37,483 Posts
Got a photo of your door data plate (drivers door next to the latch)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got a photo of your door data plate (drivers door next to the latch)?
The door plate doesn't match the right fender number. The door plate refers the color of interior as Palamino, which is a tan, right? My husband thinks the seats have been reupholstered and are not original. The sun visors and the headliner are that turquoise color.

·
Registered
769 Posts
@johli - As near as I can tell, you have a door off of a '65. There is no color code of 29 in 1966. You are correct that it is palomino, but that is for a '65 color code 29. For what it's worth, you door plate also translates to Raven Black exterior color, Nov build, 3.2 rear axle, 3 speed stick, and DSO of New Orleans.

My interior color code is 22. Your upholstery looks very similar to mine but your dash color doesn't look quite factory. Here are some pics I took of my interior when I was doing some console work. It shows carpet and upholstery. Sorry, not very good on the dash.

Here is a page from an old edition of the mustang recognition guide that shows interior color codes.

·
Registered
1966 289 2V Coupe FMX Transmission 9-inch Axle
112 Posts
Looks something close to mine. 22 Light Blue/medium Blue Rosette Vinyl.
Painted metal parts are NPD paint AP-5748.
If a door is a '65 it would have the window crank and door handle that used clips, '66 uses allen head screw in type. Of course somebody could have already changed the handles. I just went through converting a '65 door to '66.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The blue codes for 66 were F=light blue, K=dark blue metallic, Y=light blue metallic and U=Tahoe Turquoise metallic. Since your light blue doesn't appear to me turquoise, I'd think it would be F, K or Y code. There's an outside shot that it might have been done in a white exterior. These letters are from my 1966 Service Manual. My Tahoe Turquoise car has a similar pattern.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Take off the door sill plate on one side and lift up the carpet. Also lift up the pad in the trunk. You should be able to see the original color.

·
Dimples
5,572 Posts
With no matching data plate, it’s hard to say which color it originally came with. I think the most likely answer is that it was originally blue as it is now, though at some point someone painted the dash, doors and A-pillars the wrong shade of blue. As you can see in other photos, the factory blue is more muted and metallic compared to how it is now.

It’s hard to say for sure. Mine had red interior when I got it. I changed it to black. According to the matching data plate, it was born with blue. 50+ years is a long time, lol.

It’s also worth mentioning, the “light aqua” you describe for the headliner could be the factory blue. The blue and aqua headliners are fairly similar and a significantly lighter shade relative to the rest of the interior.

Looks something close to mine. 22 Light Blue/medium Blue Rosette Vinyl.
Painted metal parts are NPD paint AP-5748.
If a door is a '65 it would have the window crank and door handle that used clips, '66 uses allen head screw in type. Of course somebody could have already changed the handles. I just went through converting a '65 door to '66.
The screw in handles was a running change a few months into regular 65 (post-64.5) production. So technically 65 could have screw or clip, depending on date and assembly plant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts