Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, so recently I tore apart the entire front end of my 66 mustang in order to replace all the original 6 cylinder suspension, steering, and braking in order to upgrade them for a future V8 swap. After installing everything, when i installed the Shelby quick kit from opentracker, for some reason the idler arm is contacting the passenger side inner tie rod end. I have no idea as to why its doing this, I even called John from opentracker and spoke to him about this and he is baffled about it as well. He said something about how if the car isnt aligned yet, it could be a reason as to why its hitting. I installed tubular upper and lower control arms along with the adjustable strut rods from Global West, so should i try adjusting the strut rods before getting the car aligned? or would i be better off removing the Shelby quick steer kit and putting on the stock idler and pitman arm?

Attachments

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
He's using the stock '65 spindles. It looks from the photo like the outer tie rod end is too far rearward. An adjustable strut rod used to add caster may give it clearance but the fact that it hits is odd. Anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
880 Posts

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Just to be sure, you did replace the drag link and all the other components with the proper 8 cyl parts and didn’t reuse ANY 6 cyl parts?

On the 65 Fastback I am working on, there is about 1/2” separation between the end of the idler arm and the tie rod, that is without the quick steering kit. With the kit, the space will be tight but shouldn’t hit.

What strut rods are you using? If they are too long, the wheel will be too far back causing an issue. How about the strut rod bushings?

Also what tie rods did you use. The end of the idler should be in the middle of the bend in the tie rod. Yours seem offset a bit.

What does the drivers side look like. They should look the same. If not you have some type of geometry problem.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
The strut rod needs to be shortened as the LCA is too far back. That is the only way that can happen.

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
The strut rod needs to be shortened as the LCA is too far back. That is the only way that can happen.
Yes, the 65-66 struts are non-adjustable. If properly assembled, they should be the correct length. If the spindles are too far back, a serious look at the assembly of the bushings is needed.

Strut Bushing Installation

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, is the car on the ground or on stands?
the car was on the ground, all the front suspension parts were bolted up and the car hasn't been aligned yet. I also replaced the stock strut rods for some adjustable ones from global west

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to be sure, you did replace the drag link and all the other components with the proper 8 cyl parts and didn’t reuse ANY 6 cyl parts?

On the 65 Fastback I am working on, there is about 1/2” separation between the end of the idler arm and the tie rod, that is without the quick steering kit. With the kit, the space will be tight but shouldn’t hit.

What strut rods are you using? If they are too long, the wheel will be too far back causing an issue. How about the strut rod bushings?

Also what tie rods did you use. The end of the idler should be in the middle of the bend in the tie rod. Yours seem offset a bit.

What does the drivers side look like. They should look the same. If not you have some type of geometry problem.

Yes, i removed all the steering, suspension, and braking components out of the car and replaced it with the V8 stuff

The strut rods im using are the Global West adjustable ones part number ASR-4.

the tie rods i used were part of the front steering rebuild kit that Opentracker sells.

https://opentrackerracing.com/produ...-steer-kit-manual-steer-1965-1966-mustang-v8/

I'll take look at the drivers side a little bit later and report back when i have some photos

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
the car was on the ground, all the front suspension parts were bolted up and the car hasn't been aligned yet. I also replaced the stock strut rods for some adjustable ones from global west
....and you adjusted the length of the new strut rods to be the same as the 65/66 strut rods?
Already mentioned this in post #10.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Yes, the 65-66 struts are non-adjustable. If properly assembled, they should be the correct length. If the spindles are too far back, a serious look at the assembly of the bushings is needed.

Strut Bushing Installation
I read the OP's statement carefully "before" I posted and saw "adjustable strut rods" . Then I checked my '66 GT350 which has the quick steering as original equipment and came to the conclusion that the problem was with the strut rod length. IT controls the LCA location and if too long , it would push the tie rod close to the arm. You are correct that the non adjustable "stock" strut rod would not let this problem happen.
Respectfully,
Randy

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
I'm going to guess wrong or malformed tie rod. I've got 3/4" clearance from lock to lock with the QS arms. The quick steering has nothing to do with it IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I think it’s pretty obvious the strut rods weren’t adjusted to the correct length before install. Should be an easy fix.

Reactions: 66goldcoupe

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
I think it’s pretty obvious the strut rods weren’t adjusted to the correct length before install. Should be an easy fix.
I realize my setup is modified but I would think the strut rods would have to be off by inches to get that kind of rub.:shrug:

I flipped the OP's image for comparison.

Attachments

Reactions: 65coupei6_2

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
It certainly looks to me like Nailbender's tie rod has a much more pronounced "S" bend in it than 66goldcoupe's has. Possibly an incorrect or malformed part?
It could be the camera angle but that's kind of I was thinking. My inners are still Ford from back in the day.

At this point it's up to the OP to compare and respond.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts