Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building this car to give to my wife for her 40th bday coming up at the end of this month.. about 3 weeks ago, I replaced the 200 that was in it with a replacement that I bought used.. after the swap, it ran great. Today, I drove it to work to make sure everything felt okay (my 3rd time doing this since the engine swap).. everything was fine. Had it up to about 70mph on the hwy and it ran great. Ran an errand at lunch, got on the highway, and as soon as it kicked down to passing gear to get on the highway, it sputtered and immediately started slowing down. I pulled into the emergency shoulder and coasted as far as I could.. and let off the gas.. it seemed to idle okay.. but as soon as I gave it any more gas than idle, it wanted to die.. so I limped it home (about 2 miles up the highway, and then another 5 or 6 miles once I got off the highway) ... it seems to idle ok.. but as soon as I press the gas pedal, it sputters and dies.

Any thoughts? 1966 automatic with the 200 six cylinder.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Possibly a plugged fuel filter.....might start there.....possibly the fuel pump is going out....Mine did that for about 2 minutes and then quit on me all together when the pump went. I'm no expert and have rebuilt my 200's carb maybe that is something to look at, but sounds to me like you arent getting any fuel pressure, maybe there is dirt in the carb?Rust from the gas tank?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Possibly a plugged fuel filter.....might start there.....possibly the fuel pump is going out....Mine did that for about 2 minutes and then quit on me all together when the pump went. I'm no expert and have rebuilt my 200's carb maybe that is something to look at, but sounds to me like you arent getting any fuel pressure, maybe there is dirt in the carb?Rust from the gas tank?
All good suggetions - has to be a fuel issue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All good suggetions - has to be a fuel issue.
Thanks .. I'll have to check out the carb tonight... I'm guessing the gaskets will fall apart as soon as I open it up though... (keep my fingers crossed)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys.. .thanks a ton to all of you who responded... I went out tonight to take a look and start the diagnosis/troubleshooting process..

Well, the air cleaner that is on the car is one of those enclosed style ones that doesn't have a snorkel or opening anywhere on it.. it has an upper part that's like an upside-down bowl, and the bottom plate which apparently are supposed to sandwich the filter between them and have a gap to allow air in... well, the filter was possibly too short, and caused too much vacuum to be created.. when I got on the gas to get on the highway, it caused so much vacuum that the top lid of the air cleaner collapsed the air filter, effectively suffocating the carb. I put the air cleaner from the old engine (which had a snorkel) on it, got a new air cleaner, and all is well.

Duh.

Thanks again!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts