Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, some of you have read my "66 Emberglo coupe for son" thread, and you may be aware I have 2 sons.

My younger son absolutely loves the Nightmist Blue cars and said, "Dad, maybe we can find my dream car one day, too." I told him I would try, but the chances of finding a Nightmist V8 car close enough to home and not riddled with rust are slim. I know I could find a car and paint it any color and make the interior any combination we wanted, but there's just something about an original equipment car, and let's face it, they're not getting any cheaper and I'm not getting any younger... so I've kept my eyes peeled. Just in case.

A couple of days ago I ran across an ad for a 66 Mustang about 45 minutes away. I saw the old faded blue paint, the hood and trunk lid off, and a big shelf full of parts in the pictures. I asked for some more photos and couldn't believe my eyes... It still has the original door data plate with no signs of tampering or paint, the original buck tag and the fender stamping that match. It is a Nightmist Blue
1966 hardtop built in Metuchen just after my other two cars, also with the original 289, C4 auto, has factory A/C , and is still sporting its original Blue and White Luxury interior ! ! ! There aren't even any tears in the seats, nor any cracks in the dash pad. It's dirty, the headliner and carpet are shot and the passenger front toe board is rusted, but it's dry as a bone inside. I wondered if a clogged AC drain contributed to that, because I don't see any signs of a leaking cowl. The owner said when he got it, the tires were flat, the original wheels were rusted at the ground and maybe that contributed to the rust on the floor. He already had new sheet metal for it.

We struck a mutually handsome deal, and I am going back in a day or so with my truck and trailer to pick up a 3rd Mustang for my 2nd son's very 1st car.
Gonna build that 289, go through the C4, put that new floor in right, get it ready for some body work and paint, and get that interior sharp as a razor. It will take us a while, but that's okay. It will be time well spent together.
And when the time is right, he too can say, "My Dad helped me with my first car, a '66."

Attachments

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Yeah if you buy a third coupe... a fastback will show up for sale.....

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah if you buy a third coupe... a fastback will show up for sale.....
He hoped it would be a fastback, but he's pretty happy as it is and we'll have a trio of hardtops to cruise together !

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get his blood pumping a little more...

Allen
Well, we got his blood pumping pretty good today and we have some more photos from the web of what it will look like one day...

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
Congrats - awesome find! Between Emberglo and Nightmist, your boys have 2 very desirable colors. As someone who did this very project with my dad, I know how he’s feeling right now!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have a looooooong way to go but we're in no hurry. Heck, I still have a few things I want to do to my Tahoe Turquoise car and a bunch to do to the Emberglo car. We are going for driving lessons in the Emberglo now that one has his driver permit haha ! !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congratulations! A lovely stable of 'stangs y'got there.

:clap:

...and don't go try stealin' my handle!
Haha! Thanks! I have been MyFirstCar66 in other circles for a long time and my older son is on VMF occasionally as Emberglo_66_Ccode. I'm sure my younger son will be a VMF fan, too !

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We brought home the Nightmist '66 this evening! !
I swapped on a set of wheels and tires I had and loaded it up. We braved the heat, the rough interstate, the heavy traffic, the road construction and the mosquitoes to rescue this one in hope that it has found its forever home with our family. My younger son is excited, to say the least. It will mostly be tucked away, better protected from the elements while we work on the Emberglo car for my older son and we will pick projects when we can budget time and money for them, for a young man's First Car 66.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts