Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
My youngest daughter wanted to learn how to do a burnout in my 66 Mustang (also my first car), so I taught her! I figured I better teach her or she might try it on her own sometime and break something. I found a big open parking lot with no parking blocks, no lampposts, and no planter boxes; just a large expanse of asphalt. So one Friday night, around 9:00PM I asked her if she wanted to learn how to do that burnout. Of course the answer was a resounding 'Yes!' so off we went. I explained the basics and stressed to NEVER "dump the clutch" or "sidestep the clutch" (that just shocks the drivetrain and breaks things), and told her to just take off like leaving a stop light but once the clutch was all the way out to floor the throttle. The engine has plenty of power and will break the tires free without shocking the drivetrain. I demonstrated, then put her in the driver's seat. She stalled it the first 2 attempts, then she got it! After five or six trips back and forth across the parking lot I suggested we get going, but she wanted to do a few more, so we did. On one of the last burnouts I told her to crank the wheel hard left once the tires were spinning... As soon as the rear end slid out she let off the gas; I told her to put her foot back into it, then explained that she was doing donuts, or what we called "brodies" back in the day. I then had her crank the wheel hard right for some clockwise donuts, then a couple of figure 8's.

We then got out of there before the local constabulary could roll up on us. And she came home with an ear-to-ear permagrin! :grin2:

Anyway, good job myfirstcar! Teach those kids well!

Awesome story! Both my daughters like to drive like they stole it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If I was the cop that rolled up on that, I would have just smiled and watched from a distance :grin2:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
You are a lucky man! My daughter wont even ride in my Mustang.....

@Fitch you think she would be into riding in it if she knew boys like Mustangs?.... I always looked twice or more at a girl in a Mustang...

Or maybe it was in a parade ? Or a local commercial or Facebook ad ? I hear girls like attention, particularly positive attention. And trips with Dad for ice cream on sunny days. Whatever.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Put a 4 point harness in that car before he takes it out.
Both my sons' cars will have some safety upgrades before they drive them much. The Emberglo car for my 15 year old is steadily getting a new interior and better seatbelts are a priority, as they will be for this car. I'm teaching him to drive in it around the little subdivision and in the school complex around the corner, which has all kinds of real-world signs, markings, intersections and curves. We go tooling around when no one else is...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I have let it air out in the heat and sunshine this week, now I have it covered in case of rain. Need to move it to the back yard so it looks a little less white trash in the front yard... got Hunny Bunny's blessing to buy or build something to keep it covered, and thinking of making that moveable as well... I don't have a garage...
Wiped the dirt off the top of the steering box tag and it is a 16:1 manual box. This car was definitely well-optioned and I still can't believe I found it so we can work on it when the time is right.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I think I can fix it.

I moved the Old Blue Car to the backyard today so it will look a little less ReDnEcK in the front yard, especially around the holidays. I showed my son the piece of passenger side cowl hat that fell into the floor when I was cleaning that area out a couple months ago. He asked, "Can you fix it?"

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yeah, I can fix it. The front clip except for the fenders is already off, and the windshield is already out, so I will probably hafta put at least both ends if not a full cowl on this one. I just won't be doing it anytime soon. Gotta finish the Emberglo car for the older boy first!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts