Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to delete the quarter panel ornament and rocker panel chrome and antenna. Whats the best way to fill these holes.

For the Rocker panels, except for the fornt and rear holes, I should just be able to hit them with the MIG since they are only 1/8 inch. For the larger holes in the rocket and the quarter ornament, I'm not sure. I guess I could back the hole with a copper spoon and just fill the hole. I wouldn't think that Bondo would be good for this.

For the antenna, I was thinking of cutting a piece of sheet metal and butt welding, or just putting a piece of metal underneath. Haven't decided. The antenna will be moved to the rear fender.

·
Registered
437 Posts
i welded all of mine up... didn't want to take a chance with bondo... on the larger holes, I butt weld a small piece of metal in

·
Registered
933 Posts
I went through the same on my 66 vert and you are on target, IMO. The rocker holes were small enough to weld closed. The quarter panel ornament holes, I actually used a piece of steel as a backer and welded the holes closed. I also purchased a rustproofing gun from eastwood so that I could spray epoxy primer on the back side of the repair when completed. The antenna hole is large enough that a piece should be butt welded in place. Be careful when you do this and take your time to prevent heat build up in the panel as this will lead to warpage.

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you cut out a 1/4 diameter "coin" and butt welded it in?

Scotstang: I'll probably go this route. I shouldn't need to use a rustproofing gun. I'll just mix up some epoxy primer and brush it inside the Qpanel. No problem with the rear glass/track out. Nobody's going to see it anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts