Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one have a template of the exact location to cut out hole in door to install pony courtesy lights ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I made the attached over 40 years ago from dimensions I took on a 66 with Deluxe Interior that I found at a junkyard.
For what it's worth. One would think that in those 40 years, someone would have come up with something better.

Bob
Courtesy Light Template.jpg

·
Registered
242 Posts
Very nice Bob!

I will take some pictures tomorrow on my 65 factory stamped holes.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I made the attached over 40 years ago from dimensions I took on a 66 with Deluxe Interior that I found at a junkyard.
For what it's worth. One would think that in those 40 years, someone would have come up with something better.

Bob
View attachment 742144
Bob,
are some additional dimensions you may want to add to your drawing.

Everything I have ever seen referring to this is generic and extremely vague.

Looks like you spent some time making that drawing. Sitting in junkyard or at home? 🤙🏼🤙🏼

Dan

·
Registered
463 Posts
Dan : As a young, 30 year old Civil Engineer 40 some years ago, who was also "into" cars, I was, and still am for that matter, into details. I made general location measurements at the junkyard, and also made a very accurate tracing/ template of the opening. Once home,I then determined the radii of the curves using a circle template.After gathering all of the dimensions, I decided to make an accurate drawing, to scale, and decided to make it a little more "professional" looking by taking the time to type (yes with an actual typewriter - remember those?) the text and dimensions. The additional information provided by Nos681 would be great to add to my drawing. As a matter of fact, I will redo it in total with the added information, which should prove a lot easier now by computer than it was by hand 40 some years ago. We should end up with a detailed drawing that should be far from vague, that those in the future can use with confidence. If while developing the new drawing, I find something that might leave a question, I'll get in touch with Nos681 for any additional measurements.

Bob

·
Registered
242 Posts
After you update your drawing, could you post it or email it me for my files?

I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
497 Posts
Absolutely. Although it might be a few days, but will do.

Bob
Bob, If you can give me the dimensions of width and height with the other radius that you already posted I can cut a pattern out of some stainless with a laser so that it could be traced positioned in the proper place and traced to be cut out..

·
Registered
463 Posts
After you update your drawing, could you post it or email it me for my files?

I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan : Absolutely ; no problem. Currently modifying my drawing, adding some of your information, along with one of your pictures, to end up with a "step by step" approach to add ing the cutout, using a template. Hopefully this will be worth the wait.

Bob

·
Registered
497 Posts
I did some measuring of my own and cut it out of stainless.. It needs a little tweaking but it works...
2F096215-5B83-4E97-BFC1-F03F329820B7.jpeg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts