Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched these forums for an answer - no joy.

I have a '66 fastback. The car was manufactured with drum brakes all around. The PO replaced the front drums with factory 4-piston discs.

I have the Kelsey-Hayes proportioning valve. I understand it mounts to the fender apron, between the driver's shock tower and the firewall.

For the exact location, the PO suggested that there is a "nub", or depression in the fender apron. I think I've found one by reaching under the fender and feeling the apron. I'm assuming that this depression is where I would drill a hole.

Can someone confirm with measurements/photos/other info that this is the correct location? I'd like to attach the prop valve as close as possible to the factory location.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
You should find two. One will be drilled the size of a small post on the back side of your proportioning valve; and the other the size of the stubby little screw that bolts through the inner panel from the outside to secure the valve to the inner fender apron. they're about 3-4 inches back from the shock tower, about the same distance up from the frame rail if memory serves correct.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I don't have any good photos of where I mounted my prop valve, its hard to see in there.
But, I can say that I was able to mount it basically in the same spot. I believe I was able to use one of the original holes as well.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Here's the best I could come up with my "very cheap" digital camera. It doesn't like low light photos..

http://members.cox.net/mbstang/propvalve.jpg

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I believe the original location is down and to the rear from there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, everyone. I'll inspect that area much more closely and, if necessary, ask for more guidance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts