Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 FB, 289, auto, with pwr drum brakes. I am going to use the car for a daily driver, but no super mods for the track or anything. Although, I wouldn't spending a little more if there's a substantial improvement in performance/quality.

Anyway, I've seen power disc kits (with dual masters) for around $1050. I've also seen the "Force 10" 10", but that would require me to also go from my 15" Magnums to 17" rims, which I may not have the $$$ to do.

Are there any other kits you may know of? Or, would a salvage be more practicle?

Also, if I plan to do the rears in the future, is there anyting I should know now when I do this front?

Thanks in advance.

·
7,051 Posts
This page describes what I did:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pirateship/brakes.htm

If I had to do it today, I think I'd probably go with a Stainless Steel Brakes set up. Back then they didn't have a kit that gave you power brakes and a dual master cylinder...but I THINK they do now.

I haven't gone to rear disks and don't plan to. For a street car I think you have to look at the cost to benefit ratio. Your back brakes are about 20% of your cars braking ability (max). If you can make they 50% better, you'll improve your cars braking ability by 10%. IMHO you'd be better of spending that money elsewhere. Also, I understand that at least some of the rear disk kits don't allow for a parking brake...so that might be something to consider.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Phil

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I've got the SSBC power disks on the front of my '66 vert daily driver and love them. It is the best money I've ever spent on any of my cars. Great stopping power, even better with upgraded pads from what I hear.

You can only use the power kit with an auto trans due to the Z-bar on the manuals. There are cheaper ways to go, but this was a pretty easy install. The only problem I had was having to grind the calipers a bit to fit my custom width repro styled steel wheels. I wasn't crazy about the idea of grinding new calipers, but it really wasn't a big deal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts