Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to install my rally pac. When mounting the pac to the steering column, I couldn't get the two screws tight enough to prevent the pac from slipping to one side or the other. It seems as though the threads are stripped.

I've considered installing a helicoil or E-Z Lok to remedy the situation. Shopping online, I've found few helicoil inserts that are small enough for this application. In addition, there isn't much aluminum material around those holes, so drilling and tapping must proceed with caution.

Ideas?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Is the clamp lined with a layer of about 1/16" rubber under both halves? Are you sure you are using screws that are long enough? If they are really stripped all the way, you might see if it is possible to drill and tap for one size larger. That might not be as large as trying to drill and tap for a heli-coil. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Are you getting any "bite" with the screws? If so, it could be that either the screws are too long (bottoming out), or the rubber pad on the clamp is missing. You could try short screws, or build up the rubber pad with additional rubber as a spacer.

In the "while I'm at it" catagory I'd add a rally pac security kit...basically a new set of screw that are allen head. Dickson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts