Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring a 66 FB with a red deluxe interior. Although not concours, I want to keep it looking original where possible. I would like to add the Rally Pac option which I understand should be color-keyed to the interior (red). However, the reproductions only come in black and white. Has anyone tried painting one of these to match their interior color? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
yep. just did a black one last week . it was changed to red. i disassembled it. wiped it with wax & grease remover. taped it off inside the bezels then i dusted it several times with gray primer. let it dry good. then dusted it with red till it was fully covered. use thin coats to avoid losing the wrinkled surfaces.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks C7ZZ-F. I was concerned about how difficult it would be taping the inside of the bezel so the line between the black and red colors would look "factory."

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i used short pieces of tape. then rolled the tape into the line with my fingernail. it turned out quite nice. that black area has a slight bevel to it, that's why the short tape.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I bought a repop Rally Pac and painted it with the same interior paint from NPD that I did the rest of the interior with. Like others mentioned, take it entirely apart, use light coats and only paint it enough for the color change so that you don't lose the texture.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Here's a shot of mine after changing from the incorrect Palamino back to the Parchment with the correct black band inside. I think we painted the black inside after the Parchment was already on by masking the outside and making sure the front was sealed, then spraying into the back of the unit. There is a small lip to consider in there.

OK....I take that back. My painter tells me he tried the upside-down method and it left the outer edge fuzzy. SOooooo...he actually taped off the entire front lip at that inner edge, masked off the rest, and sprayed from the front side. The result is as perfect as it could get (probably better than the factory did). He said it was a lot of work doing it that way.

Hosted on Fotki

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Thanks. That shot was before I refurbished the rings and buttons...then I had to pull the clock apart and replace the works. I was lucky enough to get a nice original and it works great (fun just watching the second hand sweep around that dial).

Here's a couple more shots. I think you can expand these quite a bit.

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

1 - 8 of 8 Posts