Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well I had told you all about getting a new suspension and steering kit for my 66 coupe, and so here is how it went. I went to my local hobby shop on base that costs only $5 per day to use a stall and all the tools I need, and I began the process. I started with the back thinking that shouldnt take too long. Well I got the shocks off no problem, and also the rear shackles. Then when it came to the front eyelit of the leaf I encountered resistance, tons of resistance!!! In the chiltons it says to tap the bolt out, well it isnt that simple. The bolt had somehow been rusted to the sleeve inside the front eyelit. This was the case on both sides. First the frame sits so close to the body of the car that you must angle a punch down to get any sort of shot at hitting at the bolt. Well needless to say I tryed for 2 days to knock those puppies out, heat them up, air ratchet them loose. Nothing worked. So what I ended up doing was to cut off the leaf, then cut open the eyelit and pry it open, then slice through the bolt which was not an easy task but caused enough heat in the bolt to get the sleeve to slide off on the bolts head side. The leafs were in such a scary state that I have no idea how they didnt just fall apart. Needless to say after spending so much time trying to figure out what to do, the cutting ended up taking about 3 hours to get to the bolts, and then the installation went in in a matter of an hour. Next week I will be putting in the front suspension and steering as well as installing my sway bars.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You've learned something the hard way. A search on the word 'spring' over on the old site would have netted you hundreds of posts on this topic. The bottom line on rear spring removal - Sawzall. It will take about 4 or 5 blades per side and about 30-45 minutes.

I'd encourage all of you to use the search feature over on the old site before all that stuff is gone in May. Tons of valuable information over there.

Glenn Morgan 66 GT Fastback 351w+toploader

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
A tip I remembered from the ol' Courtave.talk.mustang days was to use a metal plate, a couple of 2" long nuts and a threaded rod that fits in between the bolt end and the rocker of the 'Stang. With the nuts completely threaded on the rod, insert it against the front eye bolt and use the metal plate to protect the rocker. Unscrew the nuts lengthens the rod and pushes out the eye bolt. I think age has muddied the tip so I'll have to verify it under my garage shelf.

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I had this problem on my old '66. I went to Home depot and bought a 6" metal cutoff wheel, some 1/2" threaded stock and a couple of nuts and chucked the whole thing down in my drill, dawned my goggles and cut the bolts of off both sides in about 10 minutes. Those diamond coated cutoff wheels are great!

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts