Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many treads and articles on a 66 overheating problem but wanted to get some fresh thoughts since it seams like there are new products coming out all the time. I am in the process of completely rebuilding a 66 coupe. I have most of the mechanical in and am just waiting for my turn at the painters to paint and finish putting back together. I am running a fresh 347 and current have a champion 3 row aluminum radiator. The car has idled quite a bit in my garage and I have taken up and down the street for a block and back. When it is idling it will run for about 20 minutes before finally getting up to about 220 then I shut it down. I have made sure there is not air in the system and made sure the thermostat was operating properly. I actually started with a 180 thermostat and then put in a 190 thinking that the 180 was just open too much and not giving the coolant time in the radiator. It didn't really make much of a difference though. I am running an electric fan that is pulling about 1350 cfm through the radiator. I do have air conditioning on this car but have not yet ran it and have a external transmission cooler. The engine runs good but it will need a final tune so I don't think it is a tuning problem but not sure.

Given all that I plan on driving this car once done. Not a daily driver but don't want to worry about taking it out on a weekend or long trip if it is over 90 degrees. Right now my thought it to put in a 67 -70 size radiator just to be sure I have enough cooling capacity. I realize I will have to cut open the radiator support but the front is off the car now so it would be somewhat easy to do now. My battery is already in the trunk. I would like to get this problem solved prior to painting and assembly. I was considering a couple different options and wanted to see if anyone had some input. I looked at the Maxcore 2-row c8zz-8005-c. This is a 24 in. core width. The other is a Engineered Cooling Products rad-6339s which is a 19.6 in. core width. I would get a shroud and fan for either. I think I would have to go to a double fan setup to the middle is open for clearance reasons. I'm running a March serpentine belt system.

If anyone has any thoughts on these or other options I would love to hear then.

Thanks
Derek

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
Stock style clutch fan and shroud

·
Registered
949 Posts
I installed a 2000 cfm 16" electric pull fan into my 65 C code Convertible. The car has a stock 289 and it was fine idling and cruising in LA traffic. However, the car would overheat when climbing hills or running AC, so I upgraded to a 3000 cfm fan and my overheating issues went away. The car has a stock style 3 row brass/copper radiator. If you are running a peppy 347, I suspect you may need to upgrade your 1350 cfm fan, which is way under rated for your application. In my car, I had limited options since I had to make something fit under 4 inches of space between the radiator and the water pump pulley. Lots of variables to explore, but it sounds like this could be a viable solution.

3000 CFM fan

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
If you upgrade to a 24" radiator, get the twin electric fan and shroud originally for a Ford Contour from Rock Auto. The fans are rated at around 3200 CFM. You will probably need to upgrade your fan wiring and relays, the fans are 32 AMPS continuous and about 104 AMPS at startup. Use these relays from Amazon Amazon.com: 75 Amp High Current 12 Volt Automotive Relay SPST: Automotive
The Ford Contour fans and shroud can be adapted to just about any 24" radiator.

Reactions: Mustang4SF

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I agree that the fan is probably part of it. It's a spal low profile as space is tight. J persons what radiator are you using in that picture?

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Thanks for the input. I agree that the fan is probably part of it. It's a spal low profile as space is tight. J persons what radiator are you using in that picture?
Yes those Spal fans just don't have the air flow to provide sufficient cooling, you need at least 3000CFM.. That rad in the photo is a Champion, for a '67 small block. I'm not running the Champion, I switched to a Rod Davis rad for a '67 390 Mustang. for some unknown reason, the Champion was about 3/4" too tall and interfered with the hood.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I used a Griffin 24" radiator, shroud and fan set up on mine. Easy to install using '67 brackets. While I did mine a bit different, there is a good writeup on the Vintage Mustang Form right now on how to upgrade. While the conversion was pricy, it solved the running extra warm issues.

Gary

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have to agree with Redneckgearhead above. It's hard to beat a clutch style fan and shroud for pushing air. You need to have an OEM or similar quality electric fan to do a better job.

That being said, my engine is lowered so a stock fan and shroud wouldn't work for me so I had to go with an electric fan. I have a stout 347 as well so for sure the stock radiator size struggles to keep the engine cool even under the best of circumstances. It also limits the size of electric fan you can use.

I ended up installing a 24" 1970 big block radiator with a Ford Contour fan and it was one of the best upgrades I've ever done. The Contour fan blows like a hurricane and fits the 24" radiator like it was made for it. I also used a Maxcore 2 row radiator and love it. Here is the link to my original install thread. It's not very detailed, but I do list all the parts I used. 24 inch radiator crammed into a 65

Good luck,
-Shannon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts