Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock Ford mufflers on my '66 GT. I would like to replace them with better flowing, better sounding mufflers. I am also going to take off the stock resonators.
Only one catch though, I would like to buy some mufflers that hang on the stock hangers and look somewhat stock. You know with a rolled lip, instead of a welded edge like on Flowmasters.
Does anyone make such a muffler? Maybe a high-flow turbo style?
A stock '66 GT dual exhaust is 2", correct?
Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've heard magna flow has some that work. I've never owned those. I've always had flowmasters. it really depends on preference for sound. most of the mufflers out there for our cars have similar airflow

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually asking about the choices for mufflers that have the bracket on the back end to use with the stock hangers. I want to keep it stock looking.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The Dynomax turbo mufflers have a rolled edge and look fairly stock. Unfortunately, they do not have the brackets for the factory hangers, I do not know of any aftermarket mufflers that do, but you could cut the brackets off your stock mufflers and weld them on the back of the Dynomax's. Would give you a nice stock look and would also sound real good.
David

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Have a shop weld some brackets on the mufflers?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Red66GTCoupe said:
Have a shop weld some brackets on the mufflers?
Yes. The OP stated that he wanted to use the stock brackets and hangers, so as long as he has the original mufflers he could cut the brackets off the back of the mufflers and weld them onto the back of the new mufflers. Even if he doesn't have his original mufflers, a set of brackets could be easily bent up and welded on to allow use of original hangers.
David.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts