Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently came across and bought a set of retractable seat belts in aqua to match my interior. They are in pretty good shape and the retractors work flawlessly, however, the boots have a couple small tears.

What would be the best way to repair the tear? Any product(s) available that you have used to do a similar repair? Links would be helpful. And secondly would be matching the color as close as possible. Thanks in advance.

John

SK Retractable belt 1.jpg
SK Retractable belt 2.jpg
SK Retractable belt 3.jpg

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I wonder if "Bondic" liquid plastic weld would work?

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
The one that's torn on the back...just lift it up and epoxy it.... The other one....same thing, but I would use that one on the Driver's side...so when it's installed, you won't see the the tear and it will be "face down"..when installed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Epoxy does not normally work well on plastic. You need a product that will weld the two pieces together. The very best stuff I've found that works on everything I've tried so far is called "Plastic Surgery". It's made by Surehold and comes on a card. I get mine at Ace Hardware but other places may also carry it.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
"Epoxy does not normally work well on plastic. " Says who? As long as its'a a quality epoxy, and not some cheap brand. Locktite 5-Minute usually works. I've used it for decades on torn Boots and it works just fine. If he actually wants to "Melt" the plastic together, He can also use Testor's Liquid Plastic Cement (It has MEK - Methyl Ethl Keytone in it..and that will work as well.)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"Epoxy does not normally work well on plastic. " Says who? As long as its'a a quality epoxy, and not some cheap brand. Locktite 5-Minute usually works. I've used it for decades on torn Boots and it works just fine. If he actually wants to "Melt" the plastic together, He can also use Testor's Liquid Plastic Cement (It has MEK - Methyl Ethl Keytone in it..and that will work as well.)
Tony,

Thanks for the suggestion on the Testor's. This is what I am trying as I type this.

These boots are not plastic per se but more like a heavy vinyl that is very pliable. I think attempting to "melt" them into a bond is the best avenue. I'm not necessarily concerned with the appearance (very unlikely that they will be noticed other then me knowing it's there - and all of VMF now too :p ) but more concerned with the tear increasing.

We'll see how it turns out and I'll post results.

John

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I noticed mine also need repair so I'd like to see what works.
I first tried some Testor's model cement that I had on hand. It did not work and peeled right off. Ran to the store and bought some Loctite Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic flexible adhesive. This product seems to have made a good bond and has "MEK" - Methyl Ethl Ketone - as an ingredient. As I previously stated, the repair will not be seen but I am hoping that it will stop any further tear. I did manage to get the passenger side mounted while I'm still waiting for the driver's side to cure for another day or so.

John

SK Retractable belt 4.jpg

SK Retractable belt 5.jpg
SK Retractable belt 6.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts