Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally in the dark about this. Please enlighten me. I have never heard that this was an endorsed option on the '65 or '66's.

I recently saw a part supplier has chrome wheel well moldings available for a '65 or '66 Mustang.

I have always liked the look on certain '67 and/or '68 models. Very understated compared to some "Detroit Modifieds" that I have seen.

While this area of my car is in really good shape, there is a certain "roughness" to the inner lip on the rear quarters. And dang, the front fenders look perfect. I wish the rears were as straight as the fronts.

Like I said earlier, I like the look on the '68's. Would this be a cheesy Ricer Mod on my '66? Help me before I do somethig really stupid!

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Only a "chessy ricer mod" if done in connection with wide 13" wheels, stickers, and a wing.

By themselves, the wheel moldings look fine, especially on the right car....

Now, THIS, on the other hand, is rice:
http://a9.cpimg.com/image/21/11/11856929-117b-01C2013C-.jpg
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Roxy wants outta of this place.....and wants nothing to do with a riced out terrier....what good does a 60 pound wing do on a dog with 4 paw drive and specially equipped from the factory for the rear to leave the ground frequently?

http://users.zoominternet.net/~dodgeram/images/climb5.jpg

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
There is nothing "Ricer" about chrome wheelwell mouldings. If installed correctly they look great and can be removed later with no real damage if desired. It's not like you drilled holes in a fastback deck to install a tripple decker wing............. *G*.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Cloney, you spend way too much out on the ricer boards to get these pictures /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My 100+# Retreiver would never let me strap that to her ass!

So.. Okay. My Stang is a '66 Vintage Burgandy, black vinyl topped, sleeper type, coupe. Currently run 15" x 7" styled steel replicas. Nice new rubber, 225's.

Not a Fastback, not a boss, not a fill-in-the-blank. A vintage burgundy, vinyl top '66 coupe. Seems to come across as a classy ride to most of my friends.

I am thinking about putting these on. I am just afraid of coming off like Huggy Bear. Do these belong on a '66 or sould I; A.) S-Can the idea. B.) Buy a '68 that originally had them. C.) Continue to petition the VMF folks as to the history of this potentially available option for a '66.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
I think they'd look good on a Vintage Burgundy car with styled steels - kinda classy. JMHO, others may vary.

Do you think they'll cause any interference with your 225's?

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I've always felt mustangs had just enough to maybe a little too much chrome on them...adding more and it might start to look like a 70 yr old's gran marque.

But its your car, do what you like.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Come to count on your opinions. Others, pleeeeas jump in. If I do the moldings, will I drive down the street lookin'g like a pimp? Will I get bashed by the knowledgeble Mustang crowd?

Were these a respectable Mustang upgrade in it's time? Or is this something new and forbidden?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I don't think it will look bad, My '68 has them and the styles are similar. If you decide YOU don't like then then remove them and sell them. Go ahead and do it if you like it, it is not "pimpy"

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I don't think you should add them. I wouldn't think positively of a 65/66 Mustang with chrome wheel well mouldings. They'd look out of place, like chrome wheel well mouldings on a 93 Hyundai Excel.

I vote nay, but like Kent always says, "it's your car, do what you want!"

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,751 Posts
It doesn't look as if any one is going to tell you if they were actually and option that year. I wish I could tell you, but I don't know.

I, on the other hand, have a 68 and can't figure out whether to put mine back on (along with the trunk and quarter ext trim) or not. It looks nice and 'clean' w\o them, and it leaves a couple less places for 'wax residue' to build up. But I know they belong there. Either way, I like they way they look.

Good luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
On a dark color car the wheel lip mouldings seem to visually better define the wheel archs.
http://pages.prodigy.net/opabear/_uimages/PICT0048-B.jpg

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I think the Ricer-look is to add what I call fender spats.
These are the big chrome/gold covers superglued on top of the wheel arches.
It was Mercedes that originated these (I think -- others can tell me what I think too) and everyricer added em onto everydamricethang.
For a look at these go to http://beaterz.com/one_liners/0700/070012_space_probe.htm
Bad taste has no boundarys!

In 67 you could get the fine-line fender chrome trim as part of the exterior decor group.
I like em, but I also think that the car has a more muscular look without 'em.

Been thinking about doing the pseudo-monochromatic look on the 65 FB.
When you put on the R model apron you're already heading down that road.
For a real tasteful monchromatic look, look for the yellow 65 in the Flowmaster ad.
Very nice. No rice.

BossBill
"No rice was harmed in the production of fuel for my vehicles"

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
just my opinion. I put them on my '67 Vintage Burgundy coupe and I always wished I did not (once you drill there's no going back).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts