Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I ordered a load of spares from CJ's a few weeks back and they are finally on the way to me in Ireland. I thought I had got everything I needed but realised today that I hadn't ordered new saddle perch nuts (Typical!). I then tried to remove them from the old UCA's but one is totally rusted solid and I've managed to strip it pretty bad trying to get it off.

My question is, can I use any nut that fits. I suspect I'm over thinking this, but wonder why the original saddle perch nuts are castle nuts.

Cheers
Grant
Dublin, Ireland
www.mymustangjourney.com

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That's an excellent observation on your part. Why would ford enginers use a castle nut with no cotter pin or captured lock washer as on the shock tower caps? I would just use some new fine thread nuts with a lock washer added. Maybe other more knowledgable have a better answer! I went with roller perches from open tracker but don't remember if they came with the hardware.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I'd guess that the dirt/junk that gets thrown around would get in the notches of the castle nut and act as it's locking feature. Or, they were the same size as the steering/suspension nuts (and were part of the stock on site).

·
Premium Member
13,174 Posts
They are technically speaking not castle nuts as there is not enough space in the gaps to put a cotter pin through. They are a self locking nut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts