Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting the interior in a 1966 Convertible. Purchased it as a shell from CA. Pretty much rust free.

I'm at the point of installing the interior. Going fine, but...

The passenger outside seat belt bolt will not go into the hole in the rocker panel. Looks like the hole doesn't line up. The inside over-laps the inter hole and I think the nut is missing.

Any thoughts on repairing this? Is it safe to cut the rocker and weld in a new nut?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,296 Posts
I do recommend cutting the sill and fixing that right.

·
Premium Member
12,017 Posts
I would use a file or a die grinder and remove the offending sheet metal being careful not to booger the threads in the nut.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
Whoa..! Wait a minute... would try to widen the outer Left side Outer (Right before the nut) with a dremel a bit and then chasing the whole thing with a tap...... This one is a no brainer... No panel cutting or welding involved! You can plainly see that the hole is far enough to the right to easily accomplish this without sacrificing the integrity of the nut hole. After all done...and you go to put the Bolt through the belt into the hole...follow it up with a bit of thread locker. The whole process should take no longer than 10 minutes. A few of you guys are way over-engineering this fix when none of it is necessary on this one.

I would easily use a Dremel Stone grinding bit to accomplish this....to widen the Left side of the outer panel (before the nut)...then chase with the correct size tap... Done. This fix is literally "A Joke"...No lie.

:eek:)

Tony K.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,296 Posts
Sure, if the threads aren't stripped or rusted away. If the bolt threaded out it should go back in.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sure, if the threads aren't stripped or rusted away. If the bolt threaded out it should go back in.
… car came as a shell and hasn't had a bolt in it for years. Driver's side is fine.

I tried Tony's suggestion of grinding out the left side with my Dremel. Unfortunately, the bolt is badly rusted. I can see "a few traces of thread" but nothing that will hold a bolt. It needs more than chasing the threads.

I think I'll try and heli-coil it and then tap it to the next larger size thread. I hoping there's enough meat left of the bolt to hold!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts