Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Man thats sweet. Remionds me of several years ago when my dad and I went back to Missouri to visit some old time relatives. In the back shed of his of this lady's house was a absolute mint 67 chevelle that had been sitting in there for years. I was like "Cha-Ching!!" I asked about the car a day later and she said that it was going to her grandson. Pretty sure the car never got the attention it diserved.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It happens without a doubt. I know of just such a find to this day.

My brother and I had heard rumors about a 1970 Shelby GT500 convertible in a barn east of town and some old lady who owned it. One day my brother was out that direction and located the lady who owns it. She told him the story about the car as they walked to the barn.

Her and her husband, now passed, bought the car brand new in 1970 and in 1974 they took it to a local shop to be repainted. She didn't go into detail as to why they were having it repainted. She told him that in a years time to clear coat started pealing so they went back to the body shop and the guy refused to do anything about it. She said her husband and her were so upset that they parked the car in the barn and it's been there ever since.

My brother said it was an amazing sight to see behind some old combines this 1970 GT500 convertible setting on blocks because the tires had rotted off. Other than being covered in dirt it looked brand new. He asked her is she would be interested in selling it and she said probably not and then said she thought it was Worth quite a bit. She said it was probably worth $10,000 or more. LOL. I sure would have offered her $10,000 on the spot.

Anyway, it's still sitting in that barn in the country just 30 miles east of here as far as I know.

My brother also said she drives daily back and forth from work in another town in a 1968 GT fastback.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Any of the VMF Super Sleuths know more about this car?

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Glad to see it liberated from the crazys! At least they are honestly auctioning it off and not "selling" it to a county employee.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Any of the VMF Super Sleuths know more about this car?
I know that I lived about 5 minutes from that apartment complex for 2 years in college (August 2007 through May 2009). If only I had known...amazing that these things can be so close to you, yet you never know it. Crazy!

Looks like a great original car.

·
Premium Member
13,180 Posts
according to the new 2011 SAAC registry:

a car with that serial number (SFM6s966) was painted red with white stripes around 1985 and then stored in Florida. Then it was on ebay for auction in 2000. It was also sighted at the SAAC convention in 2002 in CA where it ran the high speed event.

So either there are two cars out there with the same serial number, or the recently surfaced story has several major inaccuracies.

Z.

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
Yeah, it's a little early for an April Fools Day Shelby story.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is crazy.
I think everyone deep down wants to be able to find a car in some remote barn that ends up being worth a small fortune lol

·
Registered
571 Posts
I know that I lived about 5 minutes from that apartment complex for 2 years in college (August 2007 through May 2009). If only I had known...amazing that these things can be so close to you, yet you never know it. Crazy!

Looks like a great original car.
Hey, me too! I was there from 97' to 01'. I actually married me a Lawrence girl, and her parents live right across the street from that place! I can't believe that car was still there, that town and everything around it is soooo picked over. I worked at Oreilly's when I was going to school there, and I knew all the gear heads in town. I found a 70' Boss 302 for one of them sitting in a barn, in pieces. Some 16 year old kid was trying to restore it and didn't know what the he was doing, so he sold it to my buddy for $2500. I was just a poor college kid and couldn't afford to buy it at the time.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
I was in Brownsville,TX back in 1997. I met a woman there that was widowed. Her husband left her a very original 71 Boss 351. She said she was saving it for her 6 year old son as his first car. It was sitting outside and not being driven. I wonder if that kid wound up with that car. If so, it probably got destroyed.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey, me too! I was there from 97' to 01'. I actually married me a Lawrence girl, and her parents live right across the street from that place! I can't believe that car was still there, that town and everything around it is soooo picked over. I worked at Oreilly's when I was going to school there, and I knew all the gear heads in town. I found a 70' Boss 302 for one of them sitting in a barn, in pieces. Some 16 year old kid was trying to restore it and didn't know what the he was doing, so he sold it to my buddy for $2500. I was just a poor college kid and couldn't afford to buy it at the time.
Very cool! I miss Lawrence so much. Still one of the best towns I've ever been to.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
So, in the auction it states a Hertz radio. Huh?

·
Registered
106 Posts
What a find!

I can only imagine the feeling of opening a garage or barn door and seeing any classic sitting there hidden from the world!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts