Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang. These questions are in the context that a Shelby Hertz car was sold with the hipo engine/C4 tranny combination. Specific answers needed if you have them. Thanks.

1) Were there specific trans (C4) cooling hard lines created for these cars? I suspect that the Cobra tee pan forced the stock cooling lines to be redirected away from the larger "tee" portion of the pan. If no specific lines were formed, were the stockers cut and augmented with hoses and clamps?

2) Were the tri-y headers that came factory direct in '66 black in finish?

3) has anyone ever painted over ceramic coating? If so, does the ceramic coating help keep the paint on longer, or does the paint come off fairly quickly to reveal the ceramic coating?

·
Registered
326 Posts
The '66 Hertz my mom owned had a Cobra T-pan but as I understand the facts, it was added by a previous owner as no Hertz cars were delivered with the T-pan. Now I know that we cant say "always" or "never" when it comes to Shelbys but the people I haved talked with and the literature I read indicates that if any of these cars came with a T-pan, it was the first few. Primarily because of cost.

The same was true of the Borg-Warner 4-speed that were supposed to be installed. After the first few were delivered (less than 100), Hertz reported a higher than expected number developed clutch problems and had Shelby install the police interceptor C4 automatic in the remaining cars still to be delivered (my moms cars was also a factory 4 speed).

The tri-y hedders on moms car were white. dont know if they had ever been painted. One clue is that the local shelby rep told us that our Hertz was the most original he had ever seen after he inspected it. It had all the original items that normally wear out and are replaced when my dad bought the car (shocks, brake parts, plug wires etc).

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The "T" pan will not interfere with the transmission lines. All the tri-y's came painted black as far as I know (MCA correct).

I would contact the header manufacturer or the powder coater about painting over the "ceramic" coating.

G

·
0 Posts
the hard lines are the same as a reg c4,T pans came on all hertz cars all this info is in the Shelby world registry 97 edition,the headers should be black ( the black turns whitish when it burns off).the blk rattle can paint will not hold up any longer over the ceramic coating.the answer for long term is ceramic coated blk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts