Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
to make a long story short, the trucking company "lost" the hood off my shelby while in transport. They now say the seller didn't secure it and it's not thier fault.
Now I have to sue... wonderful.

Question is damages. How much can I expect to pay for an original shelby hood, if one can be found, and if not, how much is the car devalued because of the reproduction hood?

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Boy, I think there's some scales attached to that story...

Whewie!

You want an original Shelby hood without the attached car....good luck!

I sure hope someone steps up and makes a liar out of me...that's awful.

If I had one, I could envision it selling in the low 4 figure range....

For your situation, I'd suggest having a certified appraiser evaluate your car immediately to establish both its value as is and what it would be worth if complete...you'll need that for a lawsuit anyway...

Good luck man....still see you tomorrow night??

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
i dont know the whole story.was it in enclosed trailer.did it blow off. does it look like it was unbolted or was off car and transported with car etc.my 1st thought is not a good 1.as for the cost i dont know-someone on here will.sounds a little fishy,but again i dont know details..wish u the best....

neverending

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The seller put it on with racing pins in and tied it down. It did not have the hinges installed. It was loaded on a trailer behind (about a foot) a chevy nomad. The driver said the hood "blew off" somewhere in Texas. I assume it was stolen or sold, because the hood pins are completely gone, and there is no damage to the rest of the car from the hood vibrating or hitting.
The car is in terrible shape right now. The only good thing about it, was that it IS a Shelby, and all the "extras" were there, including matching numbers.
A LOT of restoration work to be done on this one.

Pat, I will be there tomorrow - wearing my green hawaiian shirt and Titleist golf hat!

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Man i can imagine just how pissed you must be... are you trying to sue the trucking company or the person you bought it from

'66 coupe resto in progress... IT NEVER ENDS

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
trucking co. said owner didnt secure. i cant believe any comp. or for that matter any indiviual would take off without chking all that stuff...in my opinion that would take a total idiot. no doudt as u said it was stolen or sold..in this case i think both...man thats a loss///sorry//gary s in va....

neverending

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
could you imagine driving down the highway and finding an original shelby hood??? i know its a horrible situation for you, but that would be a gift from god forever found it (or stole it, which is worse)

'66 coupe resto in progress... IT NEVER ENDS

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Was the hood all fiberglass, all steel, or the hybrid? The only one (I think) you can't get a good reproduction of is the all steel hood. I believe Branda has both the other types.

Tom Kubler, Long-time Mustang Enthusiast & San Antonio Mustang Club Founder

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
It doesn't really matter what the trucking company says. They are responsible for loading and unloading as well as the securing of the load. When Intercity Lines transported my Mach 1, they went over that thing with a fine tooth comb and noted everything before they loaded it into the (enclosed) trailer. I think you can use that practice as an example of the due diligence that this trucking company negligently failed to exercise.

Our Ponies
http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/Mach1painted.jpg http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/65vert.jpg

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any lawsuit will be against the Trucking company. The seller did nothing wrong, and he and I helped each other out a little bit during the transaction.

the hood was the Hybred - metal frame with fiberglass top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts