Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Although this is really a resto mod, I wanted to post it here because of Pat and Kelly's father/son & father/daughter projects. Its great to see projects being done as a family. Anyone is invited to hijack for family projects.

My wife, who constantly complains about my many projects, came up with the idea of a father/son car project for my son who had just turned 15 in May of 2010. It was a fast road, although diverse, getting here. Originally we were looking at 1969 Porsche 912, then went to a late 80s 911 then found the Mustang. We were hooked, it was probably one of the best car choices we could make from a parts availability point of view.

So we rolled her off the tailer, we knew the motor had issues but overall it didn't look too bad.

Looks can be deceiving

Broken oil pump drive shaft and someone driving it resulted in a motor that was beyond economical repair.

We took a few turns with power before coming to a decision, more on that later. Here is a 351W/C4 we picked up for $100. Disassembled it, maybe used in a future project but not this one.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
We decided to strip the car and "do it right" or at least the best we could.

Fast forward a bit, just back from media blasting

Wasted no time getting everything primed with zinc chromate epoxy

Painted the bottom with por15, added sub frame connectors

and torque boxes (his welding will get much better)

Gave the interior a coat of por15 followed by lizard skin

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Had to replace the doors and get them to fit properly.

After all the body work and a final coat of epoxy, we primed with PPG K36

Then it was time for paint, we shot this in our garage. It's also PPG DBC, its a tri-coat system. First time we've ever used a 3 stage paint, overall we're really happy with the results.

Like everything else with this project, nothing goes as planned. Decided on a coil over front suspension from Rod & Custom. Should have done this before paint.

Welds have gotten much better

Adding the filler plate where the shock towers used to be

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally onto the drive line. I picked up a 1990 302HO shortblock really cheap. Just had to do a little machine work, clean up the rods, add ARP bolts and balance the rotating assembly. We'll be adding a set of TrickFlow heads and a cam from Ed Curtis.

Onto the trans, back to the junk yard for a 4R70W

Will it fit??? There are so many opinions on getting it to fit, but yes it fits right in courtesy of the Ron Morris Uni-cross mount. Just a mock up but we had to get the question behind us

That's pretty much brings us up to date on the car. Its been 10 months in progress. Need to paint the suspension and install the R&C rear coil over. Looking forward to getting the motor done, we're going to drop the trans off at Freddy Brown (fp performance) for a "rebuild" then we need to focus on the interior. I'm hoping to get a few months behind the wheel before he gets his drivers license.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Looks like you are moving right along. Great work, hope mine comes out a nice as this !

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
nice work! when you paint in the garage/driveway, how do you keep the over spray off everything? i'm going to be priming my doors/fenders soon.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Beautiful work! What was that paint code you used?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nice work! when you paint in the garage/driveway, how do you keep the over spray off everything? i'm going to be priming my doors/fenders soon.
I did all the paint in the garage. What worked best was a huge squirrel cage fan in the door and filters on the windows. I tried putting the garage under a vacuum with the fan blowing out but it pulled dust in from everywhere. Turning the fan around and having it blow in, with filters on it then putting filters on the windows kept the dust down and the over spray didn't seem to be an issue. The paint dries pretty quick and I was moving a lot of air. The clear was a different story, the DBU2002 dries pretty slow and coated a bunch of stuff in the garage. Wasn't too bad though.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Nice build and thread. Looks like your son is ahead of the welding curve, a quick study. What controller are you planning on for the 4r70w?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Pretty sweet! I really wish my car interests coincided with my Dad's. Your one lucky guy to have the timing work out so well.

Oh yeah, great job so far! Nothing like seeing a car restored properly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts