Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have reference books that list the HCC-AX is the 16:1 ratio, manual box used in the GT and the special handling option. Some vendor catalogs list the AW as the GT box and the AX as the power box. I swapped in a 16:1 HCC-AW box in place of my original HCC-AT (19:1 manual) to get the quicker ratio. I have a pet theory that whichever box is the power will have less wear than either manual since it was under less strain over the years having the power assist absorb the work. Any thoughts on which is the real GT box and opinions on my pet theory?

66 Fastback
85 GT Hatchback
67 Coupe
82 GT Hatchback

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the box I have in my 66 GT convert and I have power steering. Wanted to make sure it's correct?

Rich
1966 GT convertible

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I've always heard that it is the 16:1(fast ratio) manual box. In fact, it is the box that came on my 66 GT. I have since switched to an HCC-AW box ( which is also 16:1) and the power steering set up from the 66 coupe I sacrificed to save my fastback.

Glenn Morgan: 66 GT V-Burgundy Fastback 351w+toploader+9 in. TracLoc. Started out as a rusted-out Chicago-area crusher. After sacrificing a solid 66 coupe for its sheetmetal sub-assemblies, I have one solid (and expensive) work in progress!

G

·
0 Posts
in my experience, if you ordered a car with special handling and no p/s you got the HCC-AX and all power steering cars got an HCC-AW. Of course, I have seen exceptions though. Either one would be considered correct in my opinion.

Charles Turner
MCA Gold Card Judge(64.5-65, 66)
'65 Fastback
'00 GT Conv, triple black

Check out my 65 [color:blue]fastback!</font color=blue>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts