Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forum but not to the world mailing lists/forums. I currently own 2 Triumph sports cars and the wife owns 2 '66 Mustang coupes. The desciptions of the Mustangs are as follows:

Car 1:
Red Coupe
Florida car, brought to Canada Winter 2000
351W, ford later mdel electronic ignition, msd coil
new headers and exaust ( now sounds sweet :) )
Lowered 1" in front and 50 series tires

Car 1:
Light Blue
Project car
289HI-PO. Bit of a basket case
Bad DPO wiring under the hood and in the dash. Won't start, cold solder joints, burnt engine harness. In the process of trying to replace the harnesses.

My question is the in the red one. Lately, I could get into her and start on a 1/2sec crank no probs. On occasion, she would die or wouldn't start at all. If I leave it alone for a couple of hours, then she would start again no probs.

The electric tach would indicate no ignition signal at this point as well. My thought is the ignition module, but does this sound reasonable? it is a Wells ignition module.

thanks in advance
David Templeton

·
Registered
19,978 Posts
It could be the module. I've had Ford modules go bad like that, run fine and then stall and then be able to re start. Or I've had them just suddenly fail completely.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, welcome to the VMF.
Second, could be the module, and could also be ignition switch. Had a T-bird that I thought
was heat in the module but turned out to be me wiggling the switch.
Third, what kinda Triumphs you got?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re: First: Thanks

re:Second: Thought of the switch but when this happens I do try the "key shuffle" and "insert/remove key dance", makes no difference. time seems to be the solution :-(

re: Third: I have a '74 Spitfire with a GT6 drivetrain, daily driver in the summer time, and now finishing up a frame up resto on a '59 TR3a

Thanks
David

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would like to thank all of the advice I got regarding the non-start of the wife's Mustang. It turned out to be ignition module after all.

I went to install the module and the DPO had spliced the wires into the harness directly. So, a quick trip to the wrecking yard and I found a couple of female "pig-tails" for the module. I hooked these up cleanly and then clipped the new module in and started first crank. :-D

Again thanks to the list for the diagnosis
David Templeton

1 - 6 of 6 Posts