Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Is there anyone out there who can tell me if I should get my steering box rebuilt or buy a new Flaming River box for my 66 GT fastback. I want the best driver I can make and this is the only part of the steering that hasn't been replaced. If I use a Flaming River box will I still be able to add power steering in the future?
Any help anyone can offer on this topic would be much appreciated.
Thanks Al

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The gearbox itself has nothing to do with adding power or not. The FR box is what they call "Quick turn". It is 16:1 which is what the factory power gearboxes came with. The factory manual gearbox used a 19:1 ratio. So to answer that question, If you got a Flaming River box, yes, you could add power down the road. FR does make a good gearbox from what I've heard. I plan on buying one in the near future for my car

·
Registered
21,013 Posts
Besides what mpward siad, there is a 16:1 manual box as well. It has a different code and from what I can figuire out, it's just a different back lash adjustment, otherwise it's the same mechanically.

IMO, putting PS on the Flamingriver box is counter productive. On PS cars, the steering box is basically nothing more then an input to control the ram. The ram is doing the actual steering and the steering box just controls the valving in the drag link. It's not actually connected to the drag ling, it has a spring loaded cup that is used to control oil flow. To sum it up, you'll never have that "connected to the road" feel and will have poor on center feel. You'll always be sawing the wheel, maybe not a lot but it will be constant. That's why I ditched my PS and don't miss it one bit!

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
Gotta agree to disagree. The 65 GT that I owned (still service it for new owner) had an HCC-AX 16:1 manual steering box which was original to the manual steering GT's of 65-6. Installed a completely rebuilt power steering system and it worked very well, still does, with no centering problems or "sawing" or whatever. Power steering to me was nec, to many it's not. Do believe there is a difference in lash adjustment between the manual and power boxes. If not, it wouldn't have had different codes. When installing, tightened the box not even a 1/4 turn. Only prob in 15,000 miles was broken hose at the valve. They weren't the best but they work/worked well for everyday driving. If a regular manual box is left in a car when installing PS, it will have bad road feel. The centering prob, if there is one, can be adjusted out, if system is in good working condition. Starting with new Moog tie rods, rebuilt pump, control valve, Ford hoses, it is a pleasure to drive, if you don't like manual steering.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys.
Al

·
Registered
491 Posts
if you wanted to save some cash you could just order the rebuild kit form NPD for 80 or 90 bucks. thats what i did it isnt that hard to rebuild. or if you have a surplus of cash go with the flaming river. for as much as they charge thst box has to be the shiznit.

·
Registered
872 Posts
It is true that the lash adjustment would be different between P/S & non P/S boxes, but both can be used & interchanged whether equipping with P/S or not. The reason the tag #s are different is because they use different pitman arms for P/S & non P/S cars as a result of the differences in the center drag link. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info
Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts