Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the steering column shaft bearing that is up by the steering wheel, a two piece part, or is mine broke? If mine is broke, who sells them new?
Thanks,

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Does it look like this?
http://johnsmustang.com/pictures/classic_mustang/suspension_and_steering/024steer_col_bearings.jpg
if so...it is one piece. I just resoted my 65 column.
Link

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
There are a few vendors, I can't remember off hand. But if it's the same as a 68, I went to every bearing company around here and none could make a match for some reason.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks something like that, but there is another piece that is kind of like a collar that slides into that piece on mine. Is that the top view or bottom view?
Thanks,

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the bearing have to be pressed out and in? I am hoping I can replace it in the car so I won't have to pull the wiring up through the column. I imagine it is even harder to put the wires back though. I'll look for a bearing tomorrow at the Columbus Swap Meet.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
MarkStang said:
Does it look like this?
http://johnsmustang.com/pictures/classic_mustang/suspension_and_steering/024steer_col_bearings.jpg
if so...it is one piece. I just resoted my 65 column.
Link
Every bearing I've seen has a small cut on one side all the way through.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the cut on the inside? If so, then that is the inner sleve part that I described above, which, in my case, is actually the inner part of the bearing which has separated from the outer part.

I shouldn't have any problem finding one at Columbus today. I looked in one catalog and they had one for about $4.00 so I imagine just about everyone carries them.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
There is indeed also a sleeve that also goes on the shaft around this area.

I will take a Picture and put it here.
I an getting ready to go to the Daytona Car show now...it will have to wait.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The split part is a separate piece that slides over the steering shaft after the bearing. It slips down inside the bearing and tightens it to the shaft when you torque the steering wheel nut down.
The old split piece was brass or some other similar alloy, the replacements are plastic. I got my new bearing from East Valley Mustang here in Mesa. If you need I can check with him on Monday and see where he gets them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts