Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this really old RetroSound stereo in my car. It has sounded like crap from the day I got it. I'm really stumped as to what to do about a stereo. I'm looking at possibly a newer version of this one, although I cringe thinking about giving them any more of my $$$. This one sucks that bad, and I've had it for almost 25 years (I know, a newer one would have to sound better, right?). I've thought about putting a newer stereo in the glove box, but without a RF remote, that would be too cumbersome... not sure if there are such stereo's with RF remotes. I saw a guy at a car show years ago, he took the detachable face out of his stereo and had it mounted on his sun visor, mounting the main part of the stereo out of sight. I'd love to do this also, but can't seem to find the right search string to point me where I want to go....
Anybody have any cool ideas on stereos they'd like to share? My thought is I'd like to dress up the original AM radio but have something more kickass installed. There is NO way I'd cut into my dash, that has to stay 2 post. Let me know if you have any cool ideas. Hell, even some hidden streaming device that I can attach the speakers to would work, I saw something like that recently but I can't seem to find that reference either. Let's see what you have in your car!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I plan on running a Bluetooth amp under the passenger seat, feeding 2 speakers in the front kick panels and 2 in the rear package tray. You connect your device (via Bluetooth, obviously) to the amp, so you don't need a head unit. It is wired to the battery directly, totally bypassing the harnesses in the car and simplifying the wiring. The cool thing is I can leave my AM radio hooked up to the original center speaker and still have it look and sound factory if desired. Something like this is what I'm looking at:

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I didn’t think Retrosound was around making radios 25 years ago.....what model do you have? I have one in my Mustang and one in a Chevelle and while they won’t win an audio contest with a Honda or whatnot parked next to me they both sound decent.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I plan on running a Bluetooth amp under the passenger seat, feeding 2 speakers in the front kick panels and 2 in the rear package tray. You connect your device (via Bluetooth, obviously) to the amp, so you don't need a head unit. It is wired to the battery directly, totally bypassing the harnesses in the car and simplifying the wiring. The cool thing is I can leave my AM radio hooked up to the original center speaker and still have it look and sound factory if desired. Something like this is what I'm looking at:

That's pretty slick, Ordered a similar product made by Kenwood the other day. Noticed that the infinity also has speaker level inputs. You could run the am radio back to the amp as well as using the BT.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Call (309) 676-8741 and talk to Loydd. He’s my dad and been in this business for 40 years.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Are you sure it's a Retrosound, and not a crappy Custom Autosound?
In my experience, the Retrosound is lots better.
But I second Bart's suggestion of the Aurora conversion.

·
Registered
555 Posts
A little of topic, sort of, Has anyone taken one of the Custom Autosound radios apart to figure out why the go downhill? Is it cheap caps that fail? Poor soldering? There has to be some reason.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts

I totally agree with running a Bluetooth setup. I installed a wired amp in my car but plugged in a BT receiver for the input. My factory AM radio is in the dash but I can pump out tunes with my cell phone or BT MP3 player. Some of the newer MP3 players have FM radio on them now as well, and the MP3 player makes for a nice little remote.
MP3 Player, 16GB MP3 Player with Bluetooth 4.2, MP3 Direct Recording, Hi-Fi Lossless Sound Music Player with FM Radio

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry guys, keeping me honest. I included a pic, the closest I can find online is called a Classic Car Stereo. Apologies. I really like the bluetooth option, that might be the winner here. I'm sure the newer versions of this would be better, at least I would hope so.

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sorry guys, keeping me honest. I included a pic, the closest I can find online is called a Classic Car Stereo. Apologies. I really like the bluetooth option, that might be the winner here. I'm sure the newer versions of this would be better, at least I would hope so.
Are you sure you want to lose your cassette tape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Yeah ... that looks like a Custom Autosound USA 66. And no, newer ones are no better.
That isn't the USA-66...they are visually identical to the original and very rare AM-FM radio, have no cassette slot and are still an analog needle-dial type radio with an AM to FM slide bar and 5 push buttons like the original that, instead of presets, they control things like an external CD player/changer. I have one, it has worked very well for around a dozen years, but I think they're out of production now. I think the newer radios that look similar to the original AM or slide-bar AM-FM but have a digital tuner and a display behind a dummy analog lens are very attractive, especially with built-in Bluetooth capability. It's also ultra-cool that @Acooljt / Lloydd are among those turning original radios into controllers for modern goodies !

·
Registered
685 Posts
Not often I'm right .... but I'm wrong again.
Maybe a USA-1. I have exactly the same one sitting on a shelf that I pulled out in disgust. Will look for a model # on it when I get back to Oz. But definitely Custom Autosound

·
Registered
153 Posts
Or you could just buy a rechargeable bluetooth speaker to run off your phone and not have any wiring.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Depends what you want and how much you want to spend. You can get an original radio off ebay, stick it in the dash, and then use a bluetooth speaker/amp for tunes. Or, modify the original radio to add bluetooth and all the goodies. Or, just get an in-line bluetooth receiver that uses the current radio. Or, I think I ran out of ors. I'm using Out of Sight Audio and leaving the original radio alone. Going to a 4x10 dual-voice coil in the dash. Will be just fine for my needs.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
My dad recommends leaving your original radio in the dash and putting like a Pioneer in the glove box with BT. He can also modify your original radio to hook up a iPod plug so you can play an iPod through your original stereo. He’s done that for several members here. It’s pretty cool with an 8-track because he wires it to switch to the iPod when you insert the 8-track so it seems like it’s playing the 8-track.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts