Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
@289vert it's all good! I still like my USA-66. It has an AUX input so I can plug up my phone etc, or I could put a BT receiver on that and go wireless, and I could add more speakers with or without wires. I just don't prefer the look of kick panel speakers, don't wanna cut my solid doors for door speakers, and I plan to cover my rear package tray with a cloth with a pattern and color close to the original to hide the triaxial Pioneer 6x9s in the back. I LOVE the original look with that "Where did THAT come from!?" sound quality. I am all about hidden mods...

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I guess I'm an audio snob because I think Bluetooth sounds pretty awful. I wish I did like it because it sure makes things easier.
I feel that way about streaming music. We were enjoying some Amzn music a while back, device into stereo system. I said something was "off" Put in the same tecno babble I had on CD through the same stereo and speakers, a clear difference in richness...I heard the same complaints from album guys when CDs came out.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I guess I'm an audio snob because I think Bluetooth sounds pretty awful. I wish I did like it because it sure makes things easier.
I still buy CD’s for this reason. Much better bass response, not nearly as muddy. Crisper highs too.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I still have CDs that I love but I think sound quality with Bluetooth depends on the quality of the devices transmitting and receiving. I've noticed it requires a little more volume but sound quality for me has been very good.

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
it's the compression algorithm. Same reason some people prefer vinyl records to cd. When you get to a bluetooth stream you're missing some of the detail. I'm not an audio geek just kinda familiar. There are some newer codecs for bluetooth. I think codec would be the right word. Bluetooth aptx and bluetooth aptx-hd may correct for some of that missing detail. Googling those will tell you more than I can.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can remove the speaker to recharge it or you can charge it with the usb. I have a small portable speaker that is not much bigger than your fist and has a clip on it so I can easily install and remove it.

I arrived at this point as 30 years ago in my misspent youth I decided that my mustang was a racecar. I removed all of the original interior items in the name of weight savings. Radio, speakers, heater, windshield wipers, air vents, console, back seat, horns, power steering, etc. Boy was I dumb! But now I would rather spend all my money on a new stroker rather than replacing all that stuff as the car is not driven in the winter or really the rain. I have a Lincoln to drive if I want fancy.

·
Registered
34,248 Posts
Are you sure it's a Retrosound, and not a crappy Custom Autosound?
In my experience, the Retrosound is lots better.
But I second Bart's suggestion of the Aurora conversion.
Yes, that's most likely. Was a time when Autosound was the only game in town, but they had something like 15% failure rate. For a business, that's a real pain. The Barn basically dropped them when Retrosound came up. I'll be using one of theirs in an old roadster kit car I'm working on. You can arrange the components any way you like, in this case a 1930's Euro style-

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I dug out my old AM radio, it needs a bit of cleaning up but otherwise looks pretty good. I am leaning towards that Infinity bluetooth amp. I do agree streaming music is muffled though. I'd really like a CD player although a directly connected ipod sounds pretty damn good (the Infinity has this input I believe).

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I dug out my old AM radio, it needs a bit of cleaning up but otherwise looks pretty good. I am leaning towards that Infinity bluetooth amp. I do agree streaming music is muffled though. I'd really like a CD player although a directly connected ipod sounds pretty damn good (the Infinity has this input I believe).
I put a Pioneer CD player in mine that has a connection for my iPod which I ran to the glovebox. It’s an actual cable to control the iPod, not just an AUX cable so it’s all controlled with the Pioneer and I still have the option to play CD’s.

If you wanna keep the stock look but add an iPod, my dad’s business will modify your original radio to accept an iPod.

·
Registered
34,248 Posts
it's the compression algorithm. Same reason some people prefer vinyl records to cd. When you get to a bluetooth stream you're missing some of the detail. I'm not an audio geek just kinda familiar. There are some newer codecs for bluetooth. I think codec would be the right word. Bluetooth aptx and bluetooth aptx-hd may correct for some of that missing detail. Googling those will tell you more than I can.
I had it from a bird breeder once that canaries learn to sing from listening to other canaries. Naturally, breeders hasten this by playing recordings. Funny thing, he tried using CD recordings so he could have it replay endlessly, but canaries don't respond. The CD doesn't sound real to them, where the vinyl 45's did.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My 66 C code fastback I’m working on right now was a factory 8 track , took a while to get one at the reasonable price, didn’t want to put an aftermarket unit in and have to use a repair panel, funny thing is I kept all the old 8tracks from back in the day
FDBC5DD4-F89C-4DC0-9C07-3946F21B1998.jpeg
355EBEEB-20E7-44C0-9A2D-DF8889089238.jpeg
355EBEEB-20E7-44C0-9A2D-DF8889089238.jpeg

·
Registered
165 Posts
My 66 C code fastback I’m working on right now was a factory 8 track , took a while to get one at the reasonable price, didn’t want to put an aftermarket unit in and have to use a repair panel, funny thing is I kept all the old 8tracks from back in the day View attachment 739439
GReat about those 8-tracks! I had dozens of them, as did many of us back when we could not even begin to conceive of CD's, much less flash drives, MP3 players, and iPod streaming.
BTW, where's Jimi and Cream???

·
Registered
562 Posts
My 66 C code fastback I’m working on right now was a factory 8 track , took a while to get one at the reasonable price, didn’t want to put an aftermarket unit in and have to use a repair panel, funny thing is I kept all the old 8tracks from back in the day View attachment 739439
Radio looks great! I sold a bunch of old 8-tracks on ebay about 2 years ago. Tested them in a old player before listing. It was fun to listen and mess with the older tech after all these years. Some were the same titles as you have. Hope the person that bought mine is doing the same as you. Very cool!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Another one you might consider is the kenwood 1177524. I can't tell opine on which is better. I didn't know the infinity existed before this thread and the kenwood had been ordered. At first glance they appear similar. The Infintity looks more adjustable, a little more power, and a little more $.
A few I considered the AMP was the BT reciever. I kinda liked that in the Kenwood the wired remote thing was reciever.

·
Registered
34,248 Posts
@289vert it's all good! I still like my USA-66. It has an AUX input so I can plug up my phone etc, or I could put a BT receiver on that and go wireless, and I could add more speakers with or without wires. I just don't prefer the look of kick panel speakers, don't wanna cut my solid doors for door speakers, and I plan to cover my rear package tray with a cloth with a pattern and color close to the original to hide the triaxial Pioneer 6x9s in the back. I LOVE the original look with that "Where did THAT come from!?" sound quality. I am all about hidden mods...
Aha. My favorite stealth for Mustang hardtops is to use a dual voice coil 4x10 in the stock position in the center dash, and a dual voice coil 6x9 in the stock position in the center of the package tray, under a repro rear speaker grille, painted to match the package tray (as it originally would be). This uses all four channels of any modern radio (thus using all of the amps for max power) and gives exceptional stereo separation, as opposed to the like, 14" you get with a pair of speakers on the rear deck.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Aha. My favorite stealth for Mustang hardtops is to use a dual voice coil 4x10 in the stock position in the center dash, and a dual voice coil 6x9 in the stock position in the center of the package tray, under a repro rear speaker grille, painted to match the package tray (as it originally would be). This uses all four channels of any modern radio (thus using all of the amps for max power) and gives exceptional stereo separation, as opposed to the like, 14" you get with a pair of speakers on the rear deck.
Yeah I have an original Ford speaker and grille for the center position of my back dash to go with an original Studiosonic reverb system.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts