41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Get an actual RetroSound.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
My dad still has the reverb Stereosonic in my grandpa’s 66 Mercury Monterey he bought new in 1966.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

·
Registered
165 Posts
My favorite stealth for Mustang hardtops is to use a dual voice coil 4x10 in the stock position in the center dash, and a dual voice coil 6x9 in the stock position in the center of the package tray, under a repro rear speaker grille, painted to match the package tray (as it originally would be). This uses all four channels of any modern radio (thus using all of the amps for max power) and gives exceptional stereo separation, as opposed to the like, 14" you get with a pair of speakers on the rear deck.

BUT BUT BUT...what do you do if you have a vert, and drive with the top up? ANY WAY TO OVERPOWER A LEAKy RAGTOP?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Buddy, your website is pretty bare-bones. I don't see much along the lines of fixing vintage radios... Maybe I'm missing something.
It’s a small, family-owned business, man. Most businesses of his size don’t have websites at all. Regardless, there are several people on this very forum who he has done work for. He’s made his living for 40 years doing this and the company has been in business since 1934.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts

Perfect time alignment, noise canceling, hands free. Good luck getting all those anywhere else for $250.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
It’s a small, family-owned business, man. Most businesses of his size don’t have websites at all. Regardless, there are several people on this very forum who he has done work for. He’s made his living for 40 years doing this and the company has been in business since 1934.
Wasn't knocking your website man! Just didn't see anything about fixing up my old AM radio.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I love my set up for my needs. Face it, our cars aren't sound proofed like today's cars. I'm happy with a bluetooth receiver and sending my feed from my phone. I have 6x9s in the back (but didn't cut any metal, using some j-hooks) with a sub in the factory 6x9 hole. The "trick" part of it is using my AM radio as the power switch for the amp and BT receiver. No sound comes out of the big speakers until I turn the switch on the AM radio, then pow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just did a Bluetooth amp in trunk, Jbl 6.5's front, Jbl 6x9's rear, and small Kenwood powered sub under pass seat. Sounds great.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I like the idea of a sub under one of the seats, but I have room in the back of the seat in my Fastback. I have 2 Pioneers mounted back there already.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm reading this with interest because I want to replace the radio in Diane. I've been looking at Retrosound and the Classic one. Retrosound is like the old Heathkits - I'd have to assemble it whereas the Classic is a simple install. Is the Classic really crappy? I see it's Chinese. I need some solid advice, thanks

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
You can use any device(phone, tablet, etc) with a DAC(digital audio converter) to drive your amp of choice with however many channels you want. If you go this route though, you will want to make sure your device has a radio chip/card(most new phones do, but I am not sure about tablets). The DAC is needed because the sound quality of many devices if just using the analog output leaves much to be desired. As mentioned, using a device will enable you to retain the stock AM radio in a fully functional mode. I myself would look for a 6 channel amp if possible to be able to utilize a couple of tweeters.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Any chance I can get you to PM me the pics? I'd love to see what you're doing. I have Pioneer decks with the options you describe in all of my other vehicles. This sounds a LOT like what I'm looking for....
Any chance I can get you to PM me the pics? I'd love to see what you're doing. I have Pioneer decks with the options you describe in all of my other vehicles. This sounds a LOT like what I'm looking for....
I added a few pics back to my thread at the end. Is that what you’re after?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Another_Fastback, you have me looking at original 8 track players, ha! That would be cool as hell to have in there, while putting something more contemporary in the car hidden.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts