Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ave researched and have seen where some have made their own strut rod and eliminated the rubber bushing. Why couldn't I use a longer swedge tube with heim ends on both ends?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
You could of you used a solid rod end at the control arm. Mike Meier uses that design. The strut rod is mounted to the control arm so that the control arm doesn't rotate during braking. And it would rotate if a spherical rod end was used.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
I cut my original strut rod down and threaded the LCA end 3/4" I think (NOT FUN, had to build a custom tool to hold the die out of an old chain saw blade) then got heim joints that were reverse threaded and a couple nuts and bolts...
wouldn't it have been the frame(pivot) end you threaded ? seems you would have left the LCA end alone so it would attach as normal

·
Administrator
19,443 Posts
When you cut a strut rod in half, one piece (to be discarded) is the radiator support end and the other (to be modified and reused) is the control arm end. He's saying he threaded the rear piece, not actually the rearmost end of that piece.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
When you cut a strut rod in half, one piece (to be discarded) is the radiator support end and the other (to be modified and reused) is the control arm end.
wouldn't it have been the frame(pivot) end you threaded ? seems you would have left the LCA end alone so it would attach as normal
guess it depends on how you look at it , I look at it as the end being used not the end that is missing

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ya yman, that's a solid rod end. But then you'd need to mount it in double sheer to the control arm. Why reinvent the wheel? Plenty of guys are successfully using the stock mount to the lower arm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I cut an old set of strut rods tonight and will get them threaded tomorrow. Will I also need to convert the LCA to a spherical bearing?

·
Administrator
19,443 Posts
guess it depends on how you look at it ,
For sure. I knew what he meant but I also saw how it could have been written a bit more clearly.

·
Registered
20,070 Posts
I cut an old set of strut rods tonight and will get them threaded tomorrow. Will I also need to convert the LCA to a spherical bearing?
No because the rubber bushing flexes following the arc of the strut. However.... a spherical bearing or mono bearing really improve the lower arm operation and add a more precise feel. Between the strut and lower arm makes a great set up. The down side, not really a down side is since it takes a whole lot of binding out it totally kills spring rate. You may end up having to go with a stiffer spring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts