781 - 800 of 1005 Posts

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #782

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
That power plant is looking mighty fine!

John

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #785

Nothing but the cold hard facts. The Doug's headers fit like a glove on the engine except you cannot put the spark plug wire on the #6 plug. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Solution, beat the hell out of a very nice set of headers or:

Talked to Stan at FPA last night via email. He said he makes a set of headers for the World Product Windsor Sr. heads but they will not work with the Z-bar. He said the solution is a Modern Driveline cable clutch kit if the QT bellhousing had the provision to use the correct fork. Now I didn't know anything about the cable clutch kit but I have learned that the RM-6063 can use a cable clutch fork. The QT came with the stud with the ball on the end of it that the fork "rides" on.

This screws into the inside back of the bellhousing on the passengers side, thus changing the arm from a push style (with the Z-bar) to a pull style with the cable. I'm pretty sure it takes a different bearing as well.

The good news. @patrickstapler needs a set of headers and was already going to get a set of Doug's. That problem is solved. To clarify why: Patrick is using OEM Ford heads and the plug angle is much sharper towards the back of the head whereas on the WP Sr. heads, the plugs stick out at a much less angle. You can see in the first picture what a difference the angle of the plug would make. It's not even close to the header pipe on OEM heads. Also, @silverblueBP suggested waiting on the new headers and determine if the old Z-bar can be used or not before buying the cable kit and new fork.

The bad news. Probably a 4 week lead time on the headers, so at least that much longer before the engine hits the bay. Also, there may be the added expense of the cable parts needed.

Stan will be calling later on for us to discuss. Talked to him once today and he sounded like he was a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. I told him I usually go to bed around 10:30 pm CST, to call when he had time.

Guess I'll have to work on the electrical "stuff"...

Allen

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,407 Posts
I can’t believe you didn’t cut, reroute and weld that tube. What has happened to today’s “gotta have it right now” youth....

Reactions: Turnall

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #789
Sorry to hear about the plug clearance. Nice to hear you are able to pawn them off on your ole buddy ?.
Ok Brian. I have to let you in on a little inside. Patrick's phone has been acting weird on our group text lately. So as we were discussing the issue last night and trying to find the remedy, he mentions that he needs a set of them anyway. Well, the problem with his phone is his text to me and Mark lag but only sometimes (it's really weird). He will text something to us but it we don't get it to like 1:00 - 3:00 in the morning. So as we are half way negotiating the price his text stop coming through. Now granted, neither one of us are trying to take advantage of the other, we're friends. But at some point I throw out that if I needed to discount the price a little I would because I had put the header on my press to see what I could do to eliminate the issue but it pushed in the opposite side. I only did it a little then removed the header to see what was happening so it's very small. Well, I get up this morning and there is a text from Patrick on the group thread around 11:00 after I've gone to bed that says, " If they fit my heads, I'm good with what you paid." It's hard to negotiate with a man that has text that lag behind by 3-4 hours... :oops: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Allen

·
Registered
5,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #791
That's some nice plug wire management. Have some details? I could use some of those.

I swear when I get these questions and I go look through my orders at Summit, I realize those bastards are going to have a board meeting when I finish building to see where their sales are going to come from next...

Allen

PS - I had to cut the bolts that hold them in the heads as they were too long.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,754 Posts
Ok Brian. I have to let you in on a little inside. Patrick's phone has been acting weird on our group text lately. So as we were discussing the issue last night and trying to find the remedy, he mentions that he needs a set of them anyway. Well, the problem with his phone is his text to me and Mark lag but only sometimes (it's really weird). He will text something to us but it we don't get it to like 1:00 - 3:00 in the morning. So as we are half way negotiating the price his text stop coming through. Now granted, neither one of us are trying to take advantage of the other, we're friends. But at some point I throw out that if I needed to discount the price a little I would because I had put the header on my press to see what I could do to eliminate the issue but it pushed in the opposite side. I only did it a little then removed the header to see what was happening so it's very small. Well, I get up this morning and there is a text from Patrick on the group thread around 11:00 after I've gone to bed that says, " If they fit my heads, I'm good with what you paid." It's hard to negotiate with a man that has text that lag behind by 3-4 hours... :oops: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Allen
That is funny Al. I hear ya though, I would have had a hard time taking a ball-peen hammer to it too. It's a bloody sickness, isn't it? ?

781 - 800 of 1005 Posts