Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1081 - 1100 of 1140 Posts

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,081
Looks like a mismatch of parts Al. Can't see an alignment fixing that. Are the tie-rods and center-link stock parts? Or is it just camera angle that makes it look like the center-link is not sitting in the curve of the tie-rods?
Tie rods are ES713 inner and ES445RL outer from Shaun. I bought a new center link yesterday and have the same results. I have Mark, Patrick, Shaun and ZRay in conversation trying to figure it out. Any opinions or suggestions are welcome.

Shaun ask for the pitman and idler arm lengths. Mine are 6.25" center to center.

Allen

·
Registered
914 Posts
What size cam did you go with?

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,084
Looks like a mismatch of parts Al. Can't see an alignment fixing that. Are the tie-rods and center-link stock parts? Or is it just camera angle that makes it look like the center-link is not sitting in the curve of the tie-rods?
Also Brian, that may be a bit of an illusion as there is no weight on the suspension. obviously the tie rod will be more level than it is currently.

Allen

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,085
Do you have longer idler and pitman arms on the car? I can’t tell for sure, but it looks to be the case just from looking. Perhaps that is contributing to the problem?
Good question. I have given Shaun the dimensions and he is checking. Mark has his car ready for the track this coming week so he can't give me anymore measurements. Patrick is at work but is going to check this evening.

Allen

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,518 Posts
If the struts shorten, it will pull the tie rods away from the drag link....some. Also shims on the upper come into play because of the geometry. How centered are the wheels/tires in the wheel wells? If the lower arms aren’t too far back and causing this, something is out of whack with your car......or you found some abnormally long quick steer parts. Anxious to see the mystery solved.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,087 (Edited)
If the struts shorten, it will pull the tie rods away from the drag link....some. Also shims on the upper come into play because of the geometry. How centered are the wheels/tires in the wheel wells? If the lower arms aren’t too far back and causing this, something is out of whack with your car......or you found some abnormally long quick steer parts. Anxious to see the mystery solved.
Shaun is reaching out to John for confirmation on the arm measurements.

Stay tuned...

Now, I understand the tie rods will move, that's what they are for, however, the center link will only move side to side, not front to rear, so I don't see how I would ever get more spacing between the center link and the cross member unless the arms were shorter than they currently are.

Edit: I should say at the point the zerk hits the cross member the center link cannot move rearward without shorter arms.

Allen

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,093
Idler is 5-1/2" and pitman arm is 5-1/4"
That's definitely the issue. Mine measure 6-1/2".

Shaun's already reaching out to John @ Opentracker. I should be able to get this resolved.

Are using quick steer components or OEM?

Allen

Edit: Stop by the office for a second to remeasure. Pitman is 6 1/4" and idler is 6". So 3/4" on both. That should do it.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I'm still betting on the lower arms being to far to the rear. If this turns into a t-shirt contest again, I'm a large now instead of XL, I've lost about 30 pounds since retiring.

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,098
I'm still betting on the lower arms being to far to the rear. If this turns into a t-shirt contest again, I'm a large now instead of XL, I've lost about 30 pounds since retiring.
How would the lower arms make the center link closer to the cross member?

I could take the lower arms off the car and still have the same issue...

To me, the cross member can't move, its bolted to the frame and center link can only move with the length of the pitman and idler arms...no?

Allen

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Sorry, to clarify, arms would just gain you some more room. I think the closeness to the crossmember is due to the longer idler and pitman from the quick steer kit. Since I don't have a Z-bar yet I can't attest to whether or not it is "beefier" or somehow moved more towards the center link than stock. I'll let experts weigh in on that. You did put it all on the right side, correct........? Just checking, you know how excited you get............

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,100
Sorry, to clarify, arms would just gain you some more room. I think the closeness to the crossmember is due to the longer idler and pitman from the quick steer kit. Since I don't have a Z-bar yet I can't attest to whether or not it is "beefier" or somehow moved more towards the center link than stock. I'll let experts weigh in on that. You did put it all on the right side, correct........? Just checking, you know how excited you get............
I'm fairly comfortable that the struts are on the correct sides, the crossmember can only go one way, the center link only one way, the tie rods are the same for both sides, to my knowledge the UCAs and LCAs aren't side oriented.

I can pull the LCAs as far forward as the adjustable struts will allow to see if it helps.

Allen

1081 - 1100 of 1140 Posts