Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1121 - 1140 of 1140 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks Allen. Curious to see where this nets out for you.

My uninstalled parts pile includes a Flaming River quick steer rack, Z-Ray/OTR competition cross member w/ jack pad, Cobra Automotive quick steer pitman/idler combo, Baer Tracker outer tie rods, Granada spindles, and OTR lower OEM style control arms. Sounds like I should be prepared to have a similar issue...

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,125
Thanks Allen. Curious to see where this nets out for you.

My uninstalled parts pile includes a Flaming River quick steer rack, Z-Ray/OTR competition cross member w/ jack pad, Cobra Automotive quick steer pitman/idler combo, Baer Tracker outer tie rods, Granada spindles, and OTR lower OEM style control arms. Sounds like I should be prepared to have a similar issue...
Check the height of the vertical plate that the bar (tube) itself welds to. If it's 3", I'm speculating you will also.

Allen

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,128
Just looked at mine for a stock pan, no wonder I had so much room on mine. Good catch guys, a case of tunnel vision I guess. For me anyway.

Kudos to Mark today. He wasn't going to quit until we found it...

Allen

·
Registered
228 Posts
Check the height of the vertical plate that the bar (tube) itself welds to. If it's 3", I'm speculating you will also
@Turnall what I thought I’d find... Are you having the bar modified?

·
Registered
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,134 (Edited)
@Turnall what I thought I’d find... Are you having the bar modified?

View attachment 763218
As Brian said, ZRay is making me another one and I'll use this one on my GT. For the record, I measured from the top of the plate (not the bottom or inside as you are). Looking at yours, It should measure exactly 3" from the top of the plate. If all is the same as my car, it will interfere with the tie rod zerk on the driver's side. Of course, all of these cars are somewhat different so YMMV...

It is possible to take the extra metal to the side and beneath the bar off (grind it off) without compromising the bar. Since I had planned to get one for the GT anyway, I decided to just get ZRay to make me another one with the shorter veertical plate.

Allen

·
Registered
228 Posts
As Brian said, ZRay is making me another one and I'll use this one on my GT. For the record, I measured from the top of the plate (not the bottom or inside as you are). Looking at yours, It should measure exactly 3" from the top of the plate. If all is the same as my car, it will interfere with the tie rod zerk on the driver's side. Of course, all of these cars are somewhat different so YMMV...

It is possible to take the extra metal to the side and beneath the bar off (grind it off) without compromising the bar. Since I had planned to get one for the GT anyway, I decided to just get ZRay to make me another one with the shorter veertical plate.

Allen
@Turnall Yes if I measured from the top it would be 3". @Caper50 The camera angle is a bit off and right now it's slightly over 2 3/4" when measured on the inside.

Best I just wait and see what happens when everything is bolted up and whether or not I need to connect with @zray on it. Give me a few weeks to get everything installed...but good to know to be on the lookout for it. Fingers crossed no issue but we basically have the same parts mix.

Reactions: Eitelbj and Turnall

·
Premium Member
13,115 Posts

Allen
I’ve got the custom crossmember done, minus the paint. I’ll send it out your way on Monday

Z

1121 - 1140 of 1140 Posts