Vintage Mustang Forums banner

741 - 760 of 804 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a couple of birds in my ear telling me to use heim joints but I haven't bought any yet. All I have currently is reproduction stock linkage...

No hydraulics...

Allen
I did Opentracker’s linkage. It’s got a 1/4” (or so) rod welded like a spine all along the z-bar, and heims at all positions on the linkage, plus it has a bearing on the Z-bar stud that mounts to the block, and with solid mounts you have the option of a second also bearing at the frame rail mount. I was changing from an automatic, so I didn’t have any of the pieces to start with, so his kit was an easy solution. I rounded it out by installing that needle bearing pivot kit that Scott Drake sells for the clutch lever. It’s a hell of a lot of money to spend on clutch actuation, but in my opinion the pedal is every bit as smooth as a hydraulic assembly, but retains the feedback of a direct connection. It’s truly the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #742
I did Opentracker’s linkage. It’s got a 1/4” (or so) rod welded like a spine all along the z-bar, and heims at all positions on the linkage, plus it has a bearing on the Z-bar stud that mounts to the block, and with solid mounts you have the option of a second also bearing at the frame rail mount. I was changing from an automatic, so I didn’t have any of the pieces to start with, so his kit was an easy solution. I rounded it out by installing that needle bearing pivot kit that Scott Drake sells for the clutch lever. It’s a hell of a lot of money to spend on clutch actuation, but in my opinion the pedal is every bit as smooth as a hydraulic assembly, but retains the feedback of a direct connection. It’s truly the best of both worlds.
I've had my eye on the Opentracker linkage. Add one more to the people helping me spend money... :LOL:

Allen

·
Premium Member
5,259 Posts
View attachment 746782

Just for my Bama fan friends...

Allen
I am truely offended!!! 😂 I'm looking forward to hearing how the pedal feels. My Ram 88502 is pretty stiff. I've had 2 old car mechanics in the last few days test mine. Both have said it feels more like a heavy duty clutch. It is pretty stiff. I'm going to leave it and try it for one driving season. Stapler has me leaning towards the same clutch you just installed. :p

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Have you discussed headers? If so, I don't recall.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
Have you discussed headers? If so, I don't recall.
Not on the forum. Privately, yes. It's pretty obvious that the FPA's are the "best". As you can tell with the engine build, I've been trying to use at least good parts if not the best in some cases. Best comes with a price tag of course. In talking to Mark and Patrick lately, Mark brought up Doug's headers, so I've been meandering down that road this week. The headers are in the $700 range and that is with ceramic coating (specifically the D690YS). I placed a call to them yesterday and let them know what heads I have (Windsor Sr.) and I was asked if they are raised port or standard. I had to call World Products and I was told they are standard so now I need to call Doug's (which is Pertronix, JBA headers and Patriot exhaust products all under one roof) to get the bolt pattern to compare to the heads to make sure they will work.

So that's a long way to say no, but I'm looking at Doug's Headers atm...

Allen

·
Registered
1,827 Posts

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Not on the forum. Privately, yes. It's pretty obvious that the FPA's are the "best". As you can tell with the engine build, I've been trying to use at least good parts if not the best in some cases. Best comes with a price tag of course. In talking to Mark and Patrick lately, Mark brought up Doug's headers, so I've been meandering down that road this week. The headers are in the $700 range and that is with ceramic coating (specifically the D690YS). I placed a call to them yesterday and let them know what heads I have (Windsor Sr.) and I was asked if they are raised port or standard. I had to call World Products and I was told they are standard so now I need to call Doug's (which is Pertronix, JBA headers and Patriot exhaust products all under one roof) to get the bolt pattern to compare to the heads to make sure they will work.

Allen
Make sure you get a sticker when you buy them. Horsepower and torque and handling and stinky race gas is all well and fine, but nothing draws the admiring stares like cool stickers. Also, post pics and detail any fitment woes. I'll be looking at headers in the distant future myself. Already talked to FPA, but I might have to budget more with retirement looming. I'm rationing my funds for some cool purple plug wires.

·
Registered
214 Posts

Allen
Allen,

I have the Windsor JR heads and ceramic coated JBA headers. Test fit headers to your heads and spark plugs, check socket clearance for install/removal of your plugs. I had to grind my ceramic coated header flanges to have clearance to get a socket on my plugs. Just a heads up.

Great build!

Rusty

741 - 760 of 804 Posts