Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've pulled my 66 coupes underdash harness and I've been repairing butchered wires and testing each wires continuity. I've found one set of wires that doesn't match the diagrams in the Osborne Wiring Manual and I can't determine what they would go to.

Let me see if I can explain this. In the glove box you've got an emergency flasher switch. And it uses one of those flasher relay canister looking thingys. Now on the diagrams I have they show a "single" orange wire and a "single" blue wire going to the flasher relay. Both wires probably have some color of stripe, but I don't recall and I'm at work. But on my harness the wires that go to the relay have double wires crimped into their terminals. One set of the wires go right where my diagram show them going. But then the extra orange and blue take off together and cover about 5 feet, which would put them somewhere back on the drivers side again. Well at that point someone has cut the wires and then twisted them together.

Does anyone know where these wires were supposed to go before they got hacked?

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129085&Sequence=3&res=high.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Check thread back on about 3/20 from bluefingr?, Some 66's had 2 flashers driver and passenger side. His was butchered like yours it sounds like. I have replaced 1 66 underdash and it only had 1 flasher by glove box. Have 2nd ready to go in, I'll have to check.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's interesting, but if I remember I have both flashers(emergency and blinker) still attached to the harness laying on a card table.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575122&a=11977248&p=43129085&Sequence=3&res=high.jpg
66 C-code convertible
66 C-code coupe
65 GTO hardtop
76 Nova hatchback

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
There's two kinds of flashers for 1966, with a cutoff date of approx. March 13. The earlier uses an integral harness all the way to the switch; the later unit uses a separate wiring harness that hooks into the main harness. I suspect you are looking at the set of wires and diagrams that don't match in time.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I don't remember the wire codes off hand but isn't the switch spliced between the parking lights/rear brake lights and the turn signal switch? That would explain the double wiring but not the differences from the Osborne Manual. Midlife answers makes sense to me but I thought the Osborne '66 wiring diagram shows the later separate switch flasher system as the only difference from the '65's.

I do know the turn signal flasher is a separate can than the E-flasher. The turn signal's flasher unit is hidden on the back side of the LH fresh air vent assy.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts