Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to show my incredible stupidity here but under the dash on my '66, just over my left leg is a--for lack of a better description--"can" that extends down from what looks like the cowl. This "can" is about 6 inches long and four inches in diameter. It is open on the end, although it looks like at one time it may have had some kind of door or vent on the end--and looks like it dumps directly from the cowl area. Is this a vent opening for fresh air? What keeps water from running down the cowl and dumping on my feet?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I believe the upper opening of the vent is raised up within the cowl area...kinda like a chimney cap. The cowl is sloped forward slightly apparently allowing water to flow forward into a channel, outwards from the center line, and down the front fender. The cowl is chronic for rusting out around the bucket area allowing water to drip, or in my case, flood my feet.

order parts...wait....parts arrive....wait....look at parts...wait....scratch crotch...wait....look at rust bucket...sigh...scratch again<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by STR8SIX on 04/12/01 09:15 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the fresh air vent, should be a cable running from flapper inside of it over to next to the emergency brake handle, where the knob that controls it is-it is a round black knob,early cars had an A in the middle of the knob, later cars are just plain.Sounds like your piece is missing the plastic grating that screws to the end of it to direct air flow and give it a more finished look.Up inside the cowl, there is a metal ridge/ring which extends up about 2 inches into cowl to prevent water from entering the car interior-well idealy that is.Often these "rings" are either rotted away themselves, or the flat part of cowl they are welded too is rotted away, and you have Niagara falls inside.A short term fix that will sometimes work or slow down the flow are the plastic cowl hats or repair kits sold that insert a plastic liner inside of the existing ring and are then held in place by silicone sealer.

1967 S code GT Deluxe Coupe 65B
1966 Convertible 76B 289 4 speed

Descendent of Francois Seguin dit Laderoute,
Soldier Regiment d' Carignan, New France 1665-1668

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the fresh air vent. There is a lip at the top of the "can" that prevents water from making it to you but allow air to pass. There is also a drain hole that will remove the water.

If the lip rusts away or the drain gets clogged then you will get water coming in through the "can". Water may also come from under the dash if other parts of the cowl are gone.

This is a common problem as this area wasn't painted by Ford.

http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/sig.gif
Please contribute to my Reproduction Parts Rating Site

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
My understanding is that the slatted cover was ommitted after 65', thusly the 66's are just an open "pipe" so-to-speak.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Registered
529 Posts
True. On my 66, it looks like a baffle tack welded at an angle. Almost like somebody goofed during assembly.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, that's what it looks like. Hmm, glad I read this thread, I thought maybe mine was supposed to have the plastic grille - now I know.

-Brian

66restomod's Home Page

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
They seem to bust pretty easy. A nice target for feet.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts