Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I originally tried to test fit my front shocks before the motor was in there was no way to do it as they were too short. Now with everything installed (except A/C) I can get the the shocks in, but they still seem too short (see pic). At this length, any rebound from a bump in the road will make the shocks top out. I would expect to need to push down an inch at least to get the bolts in, maybe more.

I have rebuilt front suspension with stock type parts and new front coil springs Moog 8090 springs.

Shocks are KYB Excel-G, 343146.

Thoughts??

Short shock.JPG

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
975 Posts
Is that side of the car on the ground, or still raised up? It will compress more as the weight of the engine load up on that side if its not on the ground. If it is on the ground then I would agree that it does not seem like much travel for the shock.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
When I originally tried to test fit my front shocks before the motor was in there was no way to do it as they were too short. Now with everything installed (except A/C) I can get the the shocks in, but they still seem too short (see pic). At this length, any rebound from a bump in the road will make the shocks top out. I would expect to need to push down an inch at least to get the bolts in, maybe more.

I have rebuilt front suspension with stock type parts and new front coil springs Moog 8090 springs.

Shocks are KYB Excel-G, 343146.

Thoughts??

View attachment 725582
Never use KYB...... that's my first thought.

Stock front shock dimensions for a 65/66 should be somewhere close to 9.5" compressed, 14.25" extended and
have a travel number somewhere around 4.75"

Your springs are pretty lightweight with a rating of 291#/in.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is that side of the car on the ground, or still raised up? It will compress more as the weight of the engine load up on that side if its not on the ground. If it is on the ground then I would agree that it does not seem like much travel for the shock.
Yes on the ground, but I did have the rear up a bit high on jack stands under the frame rails. See below for more

Never use KYB...... that's my first thought.

Stock front shock dimensions for a 65/66 should be somewhere close to 9.5" compressed, 14.25" extended and
have a travel number somewhere around 4.75"

Your springs are pretty lightweight with a rating of 291#/in.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
The shocks measure exactly what you posted, 9.5/14.25. When I push down on the front end it does seems easy to move and kind of spongy (without shocks installed). Might find down the road I want heavier springs but this is just a weekend cruiser.

When you rebuilt the front end, did you have the car on the ground, with the weight of the engine in, before tightening the LCA?
No I did not, the motor was out, but nothing is tight under there yet except the steering linkage. I do have things snugged up and a stack of shims in the UCA bolts to get a really rough alignment.

So after reading the replies I installed the rear wheels and lowered the rear end so the car is sitting normal. Now I have 1" on each side so I think I am good to go. I had not thought having the rear up on jack stands would make much difference. I rocked the front end pretty hard up and down and did not come close to topping out the shocks. I am sure a big hit on the road might, but I don;t have the bump stops in yet either.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts