Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a co-worker looking to pick up a 65/66 convertible for a Sunday/parade car.

Let me preface this post with this: I'm a certified Mustang nut, I know the normal things to look for; my co-worker is the one buying, I'm merely a liaison for her; she knows what she is getting into, please don't question her motives or what she should want/not want, please just examine the car below, and help me make sure it's not a rolling turd.

What she wants: a 65/66 vert in good, driveable shape. She doesn't care about HP, she wants to drive it during the summer for parades, cruises to work, etc. We've hashed out she needs a solid car that she can upgrade, rather than a project to repair (let's be honest, the repair part comes no matter what!). There's more than a few car nuts and mustang nuts around here at work, so the wealth of knowledge is not lacking, I just believe in more eyes, more better!

The current prospect is in Montville, NJ, pictured below.

Can anyone in the area go put eyes on this car the take a look at the concerns below, pour water down the cowl, and give a general overview? She is more than happy to compensate for time and travel, I would put you in contact with her to sort the details.

Overall the car looks decent, he is asking $17k, which seems to be about $6-9k lower than what the local average is. We are located in SE Wisconsin, so before plane tickets are had, hoping a local can go give it a good once over.

We see the patchwork done on the floor, little area of rust here and there, but an in-person exam would be awesome to see if htese are small issues that can be cleaned up over the years, of if it's a well hidden pile of junk. Feel free to fire off about the pics, and please speak up if you can take a look for her!

Thanks!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one....?

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
just from the pics, I'd hope someone can take a really good look at it for you. the frame rails look to be homemade?- you can see squared edges and weld blobs all along it; it's also got patches all over- granted that's common, but in places like torque box tops somewhat scares me. Did they replace properly, or just cover up the rust? I also get concerned when I see door latches painted body color- if they don't bother to cover/remove those, what other corners did they cut on the $200 Earl Scheib respray, right? :shrug:

·
Dimples
3,755 Posts
IMO, that is NOT a $17k car. Lots of patches, which is understandable, but it doesn't even have weatherstripping on the doors. That is a big indicator of shortcuts to me. A factory V8 car in that condition might be a 17K car, but surely not a 6-banger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts