Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to straighten out the mess of wires under the dash, and came upon these two female 6-prong connectors in the middle of the dash, above the radio (pulled over to above the cigar lighter) -- which were not connected to anything.
Anyone know what they are for?

According to a wiring a diagram, the only 6 prong connector appears to be associated with the turn signals and horn, up on the column.

See pix.

20200713_135534.jpg

20200713_135426.jpg

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I could be wrong but that looks like the accessory connecter on my 65. I think the radio used a few of the holes. A 6 prong connecter didn't connect to it, you put bullet connecters in as necessary for accessories. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could be wrong but that looks like the accessory connecter on my 65. I think the radio used a few of the holes. A 6 prong connecter didn't connect to it, you put bullet connecters in as necessary for accessories. I could be wrong though.
Yah, but why 2 of them (I initally mis-identified them as a male and a female, when they are actually both female connectors).

·
Registered
925 Posts
Like the diagram says: "to turn signal switch and horn, see exterior lighting diagram". Here's where having a Factory Service Manual or a complete set of wiring diagrams becomes necessary.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bart, yep that's them. I can't quite make out the words on your diagram, but aren't they associated with the turn signals. My turn signals worked the last time I checked them (sev months ago).
This is a replacement wiring harness (previous owner), so maybe it's a non-original wiring harness that could have other applications?

·
Registered
35,475 Posts
Bart, yep that's them. I can't quite make out the words on your diagram, but aren't they associated with the turn signals. My turn signals worked the last time I checked them (sev months ago).
This is a replacement wiring harness (previous owner), so maybe it's a slightly non-criminal wiring harness that could have other applications?
Do you have an aftermarket steering column?

·
Registered
948 Posts
That's the harness for the emergency flashers. It interrupts the turn signal switch and connects in between to provide emergency signal function.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,198 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Houston wins the trophy. 65s and early 66s (prior to 3/1/66) had an add on emergency flasher. Late 66s had it hard wired in. Look in your glove box. Do you have a switch for the flashers? You can buy the switch and wiring from NPD If you want to add it.

SWITCH ASSY EMERGENCY FLASHER SWITCH AND WIRING REPRO - #13A350-1 - National Parts Depot
Hah, but NOT QUITE.
I DO have the flasher in the glovebox, and it works! (see attached pic of my g-blox).
I guess the PO must have wired it separately, bypassing the supplied connectors?

20200715_074935.jpg

20200715_074944.jpg

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
I'm guessing the under-dash wiring has been replaced at some point. Start at those connectors, which are clearly the jumper for the emergency flashers, and trace them. Almost certainly you will find the harness is connected to nothing, and can be removed.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. good idea. It's such a mess of wires under there, plus laying on my back, over the seats, and 70 years old... PITA

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
22GT may be right. If your original early style harness was replaced width a later Integral harness they may have just left the extra emergency lights sub harness in place. Only way to know is to follow the wires and see where they go.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
After looking closer I am convinced that what you have is the left over add on harness for emergency flashers. Here’s how it should be wired if it is still connected.

Here is what it will look like once removed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts