Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
806 Posts
BUT if they are both lives (HOT when switched) wouldn't they both be insulated at plug, instead of just the one ?
That makes sense, I didn't take that into consideration when I came to my conclusion. After looking at the posted wiring schematic, it appears you are correct.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
66 two speed wipers ground at the wiper motor through a set of contacts. It uses a different style of pump and squirts by the on/off cycle of the contacts. To use your "modern" pump, use the wiring harness "hot" wire then ground the pump to the pump mounting bolt. The wiring harness ground back to the wiper motor will be unused.
So, use just the hot wire at the duo plug only, then just earth the pump to the mounting bolt ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That makes sense, I didn't take that into consideration when I came to my conclusion. After looking at the posted wiring schematic, it appears you are correct.
It just makes sense to me that they would be a live and earth. I will try and understand that wiring diagram LeeFred sent, but I usually find diagrams confusing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thank you again for taking the time to download the wiring diagram. So I think it should work as I tried on my first test. I am getting voltage with a test light at the duo plug. I am wondering if it is just enough voltage to light the small bulb in tester. I will try some contact cleaner on the back of the wiper switch next.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang 289/306 3spd coupe, 1966 Mustang 289 C4 coupe, 1965/64.5 Mustang 289 4spd convertible
806 Posts
It just makes sense to me that they would be a live and earth. I will try and understand that wiring diagram LeeFred sent, but I usually find diagrams confusing.
Yes, they can get complex and fairly confusing. LeeFred was nice enough to highlight the live wire path with red, and the factory earth wire path with yellow, to somewhat simplify it.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
Yes, they can get complex and fairly confusing. LeeFred was nice enough to highlight the live wire path with red, and the factory earth wire path with yellow, to somewhat simplify it.
I would have used black to highlight the earth/ground path, but it was already black... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Just an update to everyone who has tried to help with the washer pump problem. ..I haven't got any further with it yet, but hope to get back to it in the next few days. Just something that occurred to me though. I take it that the washer pump is supposed to work without the wipers being switched on ?

Woodie100

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
492 Posts
Just an update to everyone who has tried to help with the washer pump problem. ..I haven't got any further with it yet, but hope to get back to it in the next few days. Just something that occurred to me though. I take it that the washer pump is supposed to work without the wipers being switched on ?

Woodie100
From the 66 Owner's manual
Motor vehicle Font Poster Circle Auto part

So the washers should just work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sorry, yes...a bit of confusion there. BUT if I do as you suggest above it will then work without wipers being switched on...yes ? ( I am just trying to get all my facts straight before I tackle the job again.

·
Registered
6,753 Posts
I don't know about 66, but in a 65, the pump will work without the wipers on. Which is a good thing because the water action onto the windshield is so weak, that I have to spray the windshield, let the wind spread the fluid around a bit, and then turn on the wipers to clean and wipe it all away.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts