Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i have a '66 289 v8 mustang. I've been piecing the engine together and found that I don't have the bolts for to mount the water pump. The pump I'm putting back on it is aluminum without the backing plate. If anyone knows the correct length, size, and thread count please let me know. I've been asking everyone and no one seems to know, thanks.

·
Premium Member
19,235 Posts
The instructions are absolutely essential; if you put the bolts in the wrong hole, they will catch, but you may end up with severe water leakage or interference with the fuel pump. Don't ask, and I won't tell!

·
7,124 Posts
I think it's very likely you have the wrong water pump. All '66s (EXCEPT K-CODES) would use a backing plate style water pump. The pumps are not interchangable.

Phil

·
Registered
38,162 Posts
+1 to Phil.

If you have a aluminum timing cover you should have a cast iron pump and vice-versa. A '66 should have an iron pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts