Vintage Mustang Forums banner

66 windshield clips and posts

982 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BernieFrank 
G
#1 ·
Several of the posts that hold the winshield clips on my car are missing. I have heard that a good body shop has a tool that is used with a welder to position and weld these posts in place. Has anyone ever had this done?
Can some one tell me how many posts, and the spacing of them, run along the top of the windshield?

TIA

#2 ·
Sorry I'm not familiar with the tool you mentioned.
On the 65 models the windshield molding clip is held on with a screw that goes through a small hole drilled in the windshield frame. I believe the hole is located in the same position as the welded stud on the 66. 65 clips and screws are available from most mustang suppliers.
Good luck with your restoration.

Mark Mosteller
Garden Grove, CA

#3 ·
I have a similar question. I purchased a half restored 65 vert that has the metal at the bottom of the windshield replaced. I have to place screw holes for the clips, but do not have any idea of where in relationship to the windshiled to drill the holes. The spacing between the clips should not be critical, but I feel that the hole placement away from the windhshild is critical for the moulding to fit right. Any help?

#4 ·
Someone else here may know this offhand, but, if not, I'll be going home at lunch and can count the posts on my '66 since both the windshield and back glass are out. Seems as though I remember that the front has 22 "posts" and the back has 18, but I'm not sure. If you haven't already got the answer from another source I'll check out the number and the spacing for you.

#6 ·
I had several "studs" missing on the 66 Fastback (front and rear) and replaced the missing ones with the 65 screw type clip setup purchased from the typical Mustang vendor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.