Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done both front and back myself with the rope trick. Back window- no problems. Front leaks like a submarine with a screen door at right front corner only when it rains. I can spray the hose on it with the jet setting and no leaks. Right now it is raining and I have the corner covered and it is still leaking so bad I have a bucket under it. So obvious problem is not enough sealant on bottom? The corner where it's leaking is also the low point of the windshield because the car sits on a slight downward right slope driveway. Installed using the CJ Pony method with chalk strip inside the weatherstrip outer body channel with string, then pop window in and chalk like hell. Getting the bottom edge was difficult at best and I guess I did not get enough chalk from the tube/gun in there. So question- does chalking the the body edge opening first work better and then do the rope trick and chalk again? Has anyone done the method with weatherstrip chalked into body opening and then push/pry the glass in the inner glass channel?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the CRL windshield and body sealant, a flow grade butyl sealant like Mustang Bill used in the CJ video.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I've done it with rope & 3M bedding as mentioned, no problem.
Was there any metal work done up front like cowl replacement? If so maybe flanges not how they need to be?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no cowl done except the repair sleeves added to the inside (interior) of the duct. The intakes were not rusted through. I installed the sleeves as a precaution since I had the heater box out already. The part that's crazy is you can spray it had hard with hose/let water run over it and it does lak. Only in the rain. I did go back and make sure the trim clips were sealed good also. I did buy a concours quality seal this time. This time I'll apply bedding butyl to the body/frame and inside with rope before I install. The CJPony video he puts strip caulk in the channel. It is not as pliable/does not appear to have sealed the corner. I cut the rubber on the inside and poked around. That appears to be where water is coming inside. the

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If you can spray it in the corner with no leak is it possible the water is migrating down to that corner from above?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I have to agree with cruising. Water will take the path of least resistance. If you're getting water in/under the seal at the top or side, it will eventually run down to the lowest point. If you haven't already, I'd run a narrow bead of sealant along the top and sides of the seal where it meets the metal flange. At least that will determine if the leak is inside or outside of the seal.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to agree with cruising. Water will take the path of least resistance. If you're getting water in/under the seal at the top or side, it will eventually run down to the lowest point. If you haven't already, I'd run a narrow bead of sealant along the top and sides of the seal where it meets the metal flange. At least that will determine if the leak is inside or outside of the seal.
It's the dangdest thing I have ever seen. You can turn the hose sprayer on at all different angles on the windshield- top, bottom sides and it does not leak. Let hose flow from roof down- no leaks, But the rain- it's a constant drip. I have the top dash pad out and you can see water run out of that lower corner of the seal. So, yes, it has to be coming from up top I assume. I'm just going to yang it out and do it over with the 3M sealant as suggested. Is the 3M sealant really that much better then CRL stuff CJ Pony sells?

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
You really should use 3M Glass Bedding Compound. Once the glass is installed, but the mouding is not, lift the edge of the seal on the glass and fill the channel with sealant. Press the gasket into position, then fill the slot between the gasket and body with sealant. Force the sealant into the slot as far as it will go, use a glass installation bone tool if necessary. There should be no air at all on either side of the gasket. You should then immediately install the moulding.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hard to believe that the problem is with the type of caulk you are using, at least in the short term.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is there any way in the world that water could be tracking from a more distant location, not from the immediate region of the windshield? This would account for not being able to see a leak when you apply water under pressure specifically in the windshield area -- and would account for elite appearing only in the rain, when water is distributed all around the car.
It would appear that your windshield was probably adequately sealed when you first installed it, and something not directly connected with the windshield is causing the leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts