Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wiring in my 66 is a bit of a mess. There are numerous splices in wires with wire taps and a number of hot leads to create new circuits for a stereo system, amp and CD changer that was installed. None of it appears to run to the fuse box. I've also found a number of dangling terminals that go nowhere (or at least seemingly nowhere)

I'm thinking about rewiring the car and have a few questions. Can someone recommend a kit. I was looking at painless but I've heard mixed reviews. I would also like to upgrade all my gauges with new ones and was considering upgrading the alternator to a high output version. Should I stick with the 3 Wire that I currently have or should I go to the new style single wire.

I know that's a lot of questions for one thread but I can see that this will be an involved project. thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll try to look him up on the Board.

Do you think it makes sense to go with the a new original harness since the car now has extra add on devices?

·
Registered
35,893 Posts
The stock underdash wiring harness is excellent, and pops right in. Get it repaired, or get a new one.

You don't have to change to some goofy 1-wire alternator to get higher output.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Painless shmaneless...thats hot rod stuff brother.

I completely rewired a 66 with original-type repro wiring harnesses (including under dash) and I was surprised at how easy it was. Like said above its plug in and forget it.

Take advantage of the cheap n good repro parts available for Mustangs...no need rigging up your own harnesses.

If my 65 Comet had that kinda aftermarket support my life would be sooooo much easier.

Joe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any recommended ones? Vendors I mean. With my tail light issue I may be heading in that direction myself.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Any recommended ones? Vendors I mean. With my tail light issue I may be heading in that direction myself.
Any of the big vendors would do. I think its all Chinese stuff anyway.
I bought all my wiring through NPD and the fit was excellent.

What you should do is wait for one of CJ's "30% off" sales (they come up often) and then go banzaii with the discount and the (always) free shipping. You might get some stuff put on back order but it may be worth the savings.

I just ordered a whole bunch of 4 speed parts from them when the last sale hit. I got half now and half later but I got it all... and saved a bunch.

Joe

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any of the big vendors would do. I think its all Chinese stuff anyway.
I bought all my wiring through NPD and the fit was excellent.

What you should do is wait for one of CJ's "30% off" sales (they come up often) and then go banzaii with the discount and the (always) free shipping. You might get some stuff put on back order but it may be worth the savings.

I just ordered a whole bunch of 4 speed parts from them when the last sale hit. I got half now and half later but I got it all... and saved a bunch.

Joe

Good tip. Thank ya sir!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the tips on the harness. If I want to add extra circuits can I just add an auxilliary fuse box?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for the tips on the harness. If I want to add extra circuits can I just add an auxilliary fuse box?
Yes, or utilize circuits in the fuse box not in use or use an inline fuse for each additional circuit

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Alloy Metal Products actually does an awesome job of reproducing original type wiring harnesses and pretty much everything is available. I agree with the painless harnesses...forget that stuff!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a friend who actually pulled the whole stock harness from a 240Z, used it to create a template on a plywood sheet, then made a new harness to suit his power demands, with weather pack connectors. Long way of saying you can do it yourself, or just repair the old.

·
Registered
35,893 Posts
Alloy Metal Products actually does an awesome job of reproducing original type wiring harnesses and pretty much everything is available. I agree with the painless harnesses...forget that stuff!
I agree, A/M has an excellent product.

On 64-67 Mustangs, the steel stud sticking out the back of the ignition switch is an unfused accessory circuit, and Ford used it for all sorts of accessories, including air conditioning. You planning to add anything the uses more power than that?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I looked into American AutoWire already and they do not have a replacement harness that is a standard replacement for 66 Mustand. Their kit requires customizing. In that sense it is very similar to Painless. I would love a high quality replacement with the capacity for extra circuits both constant power and switched power.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Does someone have a link for Alloy Metal Products. Can't seem to find anything on the web.
I bought a complete Alloy Metal Products wiring set for a '69 Mach1 from The Coral Snake.com
The Coral Snake
He was very helpful and very fast supply.
Alloy Metal Products wiring is simply the best, it's as original and has all new original plugs and connectors. was going to have Midlife work on mine but I considered there were too many problems in the wiring and freight both ways from Australia $!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone. I'm sold on going with AMP. I'll track it down through one of the listed vendors here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts